Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
All my suspension info was listed on first page, H&R race springs, whatever rates those are. Never had the car weighed, I never took this sport too seriously and still don't. Its all about the driver until you get to a certain level of competition. Thanks for the nod on being a well set up car, but JustinT did a build thread that was highly detailed and his codriver won spring Nats last year. If I was to follow a "formula" I would start with his. Good luck, keep dodging cones! (I still run my STF Focus as FSP in "Tire Class" for SP+ with 200tw with several local SCCA regions)

·
Registered
175 Posts
What were you running for spring rates, STS-Focus? What was your car's curb weight?

I'm looking at doing some custom springs/dampers or coilovers depending on what I can get a could deal on, but I was thinking around 550 front and 700 rear. It is my DD so I don't plan on going any higher than that. Being my car is heavier I assume...I figured I'd be up on spring rates, but I wanted to get a basis off a well set up STF focus. Let me know.

Thanks!
You're on the right track with your F:R rate ratio. Those rates are probably a little on the high side for a DD, but I bet they'll be great for autox. (assuming the rest of the car is dialed in.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
All my suspension info was listed on first page, H&R race springs, whatever rates those are. Never had the car weighed, I never took this sport too seriously and still don't. Its all about the driver until you get to a certain level of competition. Thanks for the nod on being a well set up car, but JustinT did a build thread that was highly detailed and his codriver won spring Nats last year. If I was to follow a "formula" I would start with his. Good luck, keep dodging cones! (I still run my STF Focus as FSP in "Tire Class" for SP+ with 200tw with several local SCCA regions)
Hey, that's ok. Thanks for all the help! and you're welcome ;)

You're on the right track with your F:R rate ratio. Those rates are probably a little on the high side for a DD, but I bet they'll be great for autox. (assuming the rest of the car is dialed in.)
Hey you! There you are. I was scoping your thread but it was a little long for one sitting (at work of course). I figured those would be good, but I really do plan on keeping it as DD. What would suggest as a good balance between autocross and the street? I really don't mind a rougher ride, but I don't want to shake parts loose on my commute haha. Dial it down 50 or 100 lbs each? I'm sorry to bother the MK1 guys with my questions, but no one uses my car for STF. It's all about the ST in GS. I'm stuck with this for at least a few years so I'm gonna beat on it while i got it haha [grinking]

·
Registered
175 Posts
It's always hard to make recommendations for dual-purpose (street/track) vehicles. Some people are much more tolerant to stiff suspensions than others. Also, the model of dampers and how they're valved will play a significant role in ride quality. Something like 400F/500R would probably be a little more street-friendly, and would pair well with OTS Konis or Bilsteins. If you have them re-valved for higher rates, you might go with higher spring rates without sacrificing much ride quality.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's always hard to make recommendations for dual-purpose (street/track) vehicles. Some people are much more tolerant to stiff suspensions than others. Also, the model of dampers and how they're valved will play a significant role in ride quality. Something like 400F/500R would probably be a little more street-friendly, and would pair well with OTS Konis or Bilsteins. If you have them re-valved for higher rates, you might go with higher spring rates without sacrificing much ride quality.
I'm definitely getting some shocks and getting them revalved for higher spring rates. I was just looking at some coilover set ups and none of them are even close to what i think would be a good spring rate. Why do they set you up to fail with those? 450 in the front and 300 at the back? On a heavy FWD car? Do they want me to understeer into the next century?

But anyway some of those companies will change spring rates if you ask so I'm gonna see if it might be cheaper to do that because it's gonna be as much as a decent set of coilovers to get custom springs and konis revalved anyway.

Appreciate the help guys!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts