Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im scared now to buy a header cuz of the whole cel thing

my cai is throwing my cel on but my car is running the same and im getting the same gas milage

1. my orignal plan was to buy the obx header and install it to my mbrp 2.25 inch exhuast is this ok ?

2. can i run my car with the header and no tune

3. i will be getting a tune soon but would rather buy the header first then the tune ?

4. are the obx headers any good ?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
i dont know if obx is any good, but i dont see any problem of having the header without a tune... you just have to reset the ECU... i might be wrong but thats what i think...

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
theres a whole 10+ page thread on the obx header, search for it

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes
Yes
You'll be fine
Same quality as the F2 from what I've read.

But yeah, search and read the thread on it. I've never seen a CAI cause a CEL before though.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
you'll be fine. im getting a header at the end of the month . i cant wait. im doin the f2 header, c-f-m tb and the steeda sts all at once .

·
!FRENCH FRY!
4,236 Posts
jessica, LMAO!!! love your signature

on this subject though, cel for the header is no biggie. there is a way around it, there's a how-to somewhere, search the how-to section as i think that's where it is, but there's a trick that's supposed to do away with that problem. though i'm with jess, i've never heard of a cel for an intake...in any case, if you're getting a tune soon, don't worry about the header causing a cel. you can run it without a tune and not have a problem. i'm going to.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
so nobody has pointed him in the right direction with the cel how to? ok people im going to give you all a cut and dry how to!
1st go to the DURATEC Performance Chat and enter it by clicking it.
2nd on the top of the DURATEC Performance Chat page , the first thread NEW MEMBERS LOOK HERE! DURATEC Performance Chat Stickied Threads CLICK THAT TO ENTER THAT PAGE.
3rd on that page the 11 thread down you will see HOW-TO: Mechanical CEL Fix for a Header . CLICK THAT!!!!

Now i could of just posted a link for it but it will give you all that dont know how to look up a thread the chance to learn and do so. have fun !!!!!!

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I got a CEL from my CAI, but it went away after I fully seated the MAF connector. That's worth double checking, because all I had was a slight stumble.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
jessica, LMAO!!! love your signature

on this subject though, cel for the header is no biggie. there is a way around it, there's a how-to somewhere, search the how-to section as i think that's where it is, but there's a trick that's supposed to do away with that problem. though i'm with jess, i've never heard of a cel for an intake...in any case, if you're getting a tune soon, don't worry about the header causing a cel. you can run it without a tune and not have a problem. i'm going to.
This prolly isn't the best idea in the world. While yes you can run w/ a CEL on what if your car has some thing else go wrong? The CEL is already on and your car can't tell you some thing is wrong w/ it and potetialy ruin some thing worse. Not only that but the "HOW TO" doesn't work on every car, it's not garenteed that it will work for you or your car. If you have a reagular CAI or SRI and not a home made one then you should check your MAF sensor to see if it is in all the way or even upside down. Any other questions feel free to PM me if need be.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
This prolly isn't the best idea in the world. While yes you can run w/ a CEL on what if your car has some thing else go wrong? The CEL is already on and your car can't tell you some thing is wrong w/ it and potetialy ruin some thing worse. Not only that but the "HOW TO" doesn't work on every car, it's not garenteed that it will work for you or your car. If you have a reagular CAI or SRI and not a home made one then you should check your MAF sensor to see if it is in all the way or even upside down. Any other questions feel free to PM me if need be.
^^^The car can tell if something is wrong with it even though the CEL is on....you just won't know because you think the header alone is causing it. But you can still pull the codes and even though the light is on and see what other codes are stored besides the o2 code you'll have. If something goes wrong, it'll just add those codes to the header code.

And as far as no one pointing him in the right direction with the mechanical fix for the CEL....with the OBX header, you can't do the mechanical fix because it only has one opening for one o2 sensor, not the three required. He will have to have a tuner to get the light out.

·
Gal. 2:20
1,999 Posts
^^^The car can tell if something is wrong with it even though the CEL is on....you just won't know because you think the header alone is causing it. But you can still pull the codes and even though the light is on and see what other codes are stored besides the o2 code you'll have. If something goes wrong, it'll just add those codes to the header code.

And as far as no one pointing him in the right direction with the mechanical fix for the CEL....with the OBX header, you can't do the mechanical fix because it only has one opening for one o2 sensor, not the three required. He will have to have a tuner to get the light out.
Yes, while this is true, my point was that you wont know that your car is throughing a code out because your CEL is already on. You can check and read you PCM but you would have to do random checks with the programer to find any thing else wrong, this I don't recommend. If you do a randome check you might be to late by then and some thing could be have been going on for a while. I'm a big fan of do it right the first time that way you don't have to worry a bout it.[thumb]

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
Eh the OBX looks like a nice piece. I have seen it in person and it sure is pretty. And you will get a CEL with any header out there. Its just the name of the game.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I'm a big fan of do it right the first time that way you don't have to worry a bout it.[thumb]

Same here, but the original post was asking if he could run the header and no tune. While its not recommended, yes he can.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts