Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just bought a 2001 focus coupe with the single overhead cam 2.0. It had a rough idle when we bought it so I went through and replaced the plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, trans mission fluid and filter, oil and filter. Then a couple days later it dies not far from home. Tow it back and find out it didn't have spark on two of the cylinders. I changed out the coil and it ran perfect. Idled smooth had good acceleration, ran great. Fast forward a few days. We try to start it today and it cranks fine but only fires for about a second every two or three seconds. It's like if you had a car with a cap and rotor and unplugged all the wires except one. It will fire (for a second) at the exact same spot or time if you were timing it. I'm lost here. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I checked and I do have spark on all 4 cylinders. I can also hear the fuel pump kick on. I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to previous owner the timing belt was replaced not to long ago. I'll can probably look down the oil fill and see if anything is moving while the car cranks.

·
Registered
17,759 Posts
Handling the coil harness may have broken a wire, they commonly do it and look real good at coil connector. Sometimes wire breaks just inside where you can't see it. Ford made the coil leadout too short and the MAF sensor tends to pull on harness and then vibration and extra handling break the wire(s).

I've seen a brand new CHEAP CRAP no-name coil spit its' guts out a day or two later if that fits..........................you can seem to have spark but not be strong enough if coil spits out just right. A shorted coil drops spark way down on power but it will still spark when not under compression load.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to swap out the coil first. This is a cheap no name one like you said. It's the only one auto zone had in stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turned to be either a cracked head, head gasket or valve seat. Wasn't worth the money for them to open it up and see which one it was.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The SPI was infamous for dropping a valve seat. Guessing you just joined the club. Sorry.

The Zetec, on the other hand, appears to be unkillable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts