Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal,

I bought an SAP diffuser. I went to put it on last night. I was taking off the old diffuser and noticed that it waas held on by a lot of bolts.

So I put the new SAP diffuer on and I noticed it only mounts in 4 out of like 10 holes. I clipped the 2 ends in on each side of the bumper. I know you have to drill 2 new holes. I drilled them in the litle tabs that go right under the bumper and then put 2 clips into the ones behind the bumper that flip up and down. Everything lines up good.

I noticed though, that it seems kinda loose and floppy. It seems like it would mabe flap in the wind. It goes way back and has like 4 holes that I am guessing where it attaches to the bumper on the SAP's.

What I am wondering is if anyone has found a good way to make it seem a little more sturdy on the car?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
I'm guessing if it only had four mounting points than that's all you'd need. Best I could think is maybe get some epoxy? or some metal supports that bolt to somewhere. I doubt it will be an issue though. Be sure to take some pics, I'd like to get one for my car sometime.

Moved to Exterior Body and Lighting Chat

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry to whoever moved this. I did not know I double posted it or put it in the wrong place. My bad. I will probably have some pics up this weekend maybe.

It looks so much better than the stock one.

I was thinking for a fix maybe cutting some peices of plastic and epoxying them to the end of the diffuser and to the car where the spare tire sits. I do not want to do anymore drilling into the car for sure. I also put on the rear strut bar that day and that killed me drilling into the car like that.

·
Regulator...mount up
3,026 Posts
upload some pics pronto [thumb] Theres a few running the SAP w/out complains has anyone else had this happen?

·
Zzzykeyah!!!!!!
2,950 Posts
the four holes at the bottom have mounting bracket from the factory that are riveted in the diffuser and i think the rear crash bar bar i think.so think i read some thing that you have to make your own brackets.sorry if im wrong.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
You know what, I saw a thread somewhere that someone made a how to for install on a SVT. He made special brackets and I don't think it looked bad. It wasn't long ago either. Good luck

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
do this to get rid of the floppiness

ALL CREDIT FOR THIS GOES TO spatakula710, a member here on Focus Fanatics
spatakula said:
So, anyone that has an SAP rear diffuser mounted on their SVT bumper can copy what I did to add a little bit of support the rear diffuser. I had Steven (sonicbluezx3) take a look at my car as I drove down the highway and he said that the diffuser was flopping around pretty bad due to the winds at highway speeds. I know there are many ways to make/ attach brackets for this but this is what I did. It seems like the best way to do it IMO because it doesnt involve any drilling into the car itself and is pretty easy to do.

First off, the materials. I stopped at Home Depot and picked up these metal strips. They are thick but not too thick. They were 1/16" thick but you can really use whatever thickness you desire. I picked up some bolts from there too. You will need 4 bolts, 4 nuts, 8 washers and 4 oversized washers. (The bolt/nuts set I used were sized at.... 1/4"-20 X 5/8") This size is almost a perfect fit for the two holes that you use when mounting the bracket to the passenger side.

Step 1: The beginning

Jack up the car like so....

Step 2: The approach

Crawl underneath the car on the passanger side. You will see 2 holes already on the SAP diffuser on the bottom. This is were you will mount one part of the bracket. Look up beside the tow hook and you will see two holes like so....

This is were the other part of the bracket is mounted.

Step 3: Making your brackets...

First off, the holes we are drilling now are going to mount the bracket to the bottom of the diffuser.

The over all length of the piece...

The first hole drilled 3/4" from the tip.

X marks the spot for the next hole... 4 3/4" from the end of the bracket.

After drilling...

Pay no attention to the diagonal line. The straight line represents were you first bend will take place. This is 8 3/4" for the tip of the metal stip. The bend needs to go up and be twisted at 90 degrees. This is not something I can exactly show you on this how-to but when you are done, it should look something like this.... ( just painted it for looks)

I used 2 pairs of vice grips and just bent the piece myself. Its not that difficult to bend... unless you are a girly man. I suggest on bending a bit, then mocking it up under the bumper just to see how much more or less you need to bend. The object is to have the dilled hole part resting on the diffuser and covering the two holes on the car with the piece of metal. Also, you may need to cut the excess off the end of your bracket to get it to fit under the car... use you judgement.

Now you will need to drill your last two holes for mounting the new bracket to the car itself. What I did was after I got done bending the peice up and was happy with the fitment, I used a Sharpie, stuck it through the holes on the body, and marked were I needed to drill my last two holes, using the body holes as my stencil. Not that precise but it works. Drill you last holes then paint it if you want to.

Next up is making you brackets for the drivers side. Use the same measurement as noted in the beginning for you bracket/ diffuser holes. Bend in the same spot as mentioned before. This time it does not need to be twisted, just bent up. You will attach the other part of the bracket to the car using the tow hook itself. I am not too happy with using this mounting point but if you look under there, there is just not a close and sound spot to attach it without drilling holes in the car. Again, you will need to just go in there and bend the stuff, mock it up and make any adjustements. Once you are happy with how everything lines up, stencil your lest drilling holes and drill away.

Step 4: Attaching the brackets.

After you are happy with the new bracket shape, mount it up.

Passanger side....

Drivers side.... (note the oversized washers...)

Step 5: Painting

I painted the screws that were on the diffuser black because they stuck out like a sore thumb.

Passenger side...

Drivers side....

Step 6: Automated wind machine

Grab ahold of the diffuser and shake it around a bit. You will immediatly notice how much more ridged it is. It is a huge improvement over having just nothing supporting it in the middle.

Step 7: Lower the car and admire your work.

Hope this helps! Anyone else with any idea's or corrections to my work, please feel free to add!

[:)]

-spatakula
and a note to scrammer: I hope this is OK. This is the only thing I could think of that would help people out and not make me make you mad at me. If not, just remove it

·
Banned
7,946 Posts
i hate it when we link FJ threads, but hey its good info!!

i had a neon kit on my car when i installed mine. the tube ran right on the edge of the diffuser, so i just zip-tied it to the tube.
i dont like the look of all the bolts in the diffuser that the FJ guy did. looks sloppy. you dont need that many points of tether. just one in the middle of each side.

i might do something similiar but without all those bolts. mine would be way more cleaner looking.

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
I did something similar, but with cleaner looking plastic pieces and I used a long piece of diamond plate and bent it to a right angle and bolted it to the car then to the diffuser. I'll take pictures in the morning when I change my oil and was my car [thumb] But seriously it's on the bottom of the diffuser and you're only going to see it if you're on the ground, and even then I don't think I'd be like "OH MY GAWD!!!! He has SCREWS PAINTED BLACK!!!!1!1111!!!" lol

·
Banned
1,671 Posts
to get the thread back on topic and help the guy, I took pictures of my solution. I got a long piece of scrap diamond plate and bent it to a 90 degree angle. I bolted it to the car so that it went down then turned under the car. I drilled holes into it so that they lined up with the ones in the diffuser then used some clip things I found in my garage to secure the diffuser to the new "bracket." I think it looks cleaner than Spat's solution, but both are adequately effective

I did my best to get pictures to show what I did, but it was kinda difficult because there's not much room under there, plus the car's lowered lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts