Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need some help about what to do, I live in California and there are many regulations that exhaust modifications can have.

So, my car is a PZEV model which means it has 2 catalytic converters compared to the 1 all the other states have and I just a bought a J2 catback exhaust. This exhaust removes the 2nd catalytic converter on the car and I need some peoples advice on what to do because there are few shops that will actually chop the 2nd one and install the exhaust because it is VERY ILLEGAL for them to do so.

Ive only called up one shop so far and they said NO. There are no sensors on the 2nd cat at all and I need some suggestions of shops that WILL chop the 2nd one in the San Diego area.

At the moment, Im not going to incorporate the 2nd cat in the new exhaust even though I can (which would make it legal) because my smog check is not for another 5 1/2 years.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Back in the day I had an offroad h-pipe that had no cats I wanted to get put on. Well no place would do it obviously. So in my driveway I unbolted the stock h-pipe and bolted up my new one without cats. It was barely bolted up, wasn't aligned right and leaked like crazy. Drove to the exhaust shop, and they happily tightened it up and made it fit great. Since they were not removing the cats, and the pipe was already on the car, they had no issues "fixing it".

Something like that might be an option for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts