Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ah.....winter-time. Salty road surfaces everywhere..... and you need to constantly clean the stuff off, particularly the underside. So you go through a drive-through car wash, or even a DIY car wash, and spray it clean. Or so you think.....

In many places these car wash places re-cycle the water, running it through filters to remove the dirt from other cars. But does this filter process also remove the salt content? That's the unknown factor. If there is any salt content left, it is blasted into all parts of your car.....sort-of like pouring gasoline onto a fire. You're worse off than when you started to clean your Focus.

The fix.....avoid car washes that re-cycle water, in the winter. DIY in your driveway with a hose, and you can also get a wand attachment to do the underside.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
ahhh puuu-fie

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
I would too but I'm afraid the water would freeze before I did a good job. Plus there is a real good touchless wash by me.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Adding soap to water does nothing to remove any salt content. Water dries off your car, but whatever salt was in there, remains trapped anywhere it entered. I'd suggest calling the owner of the car-wash and inquire.

Salt is a killer to all the metal on a Focus. If you want your car to last, you have to get the salt off as quickly as possible. And parking the car in a heated garage after a trip on salty roads is the worst....

·
Premium Member
7,348 Posts
I always wash my car myself. Why do something you can do yourself for free? Plus, I don't trust the car washes. I'm always afraid they're going to scratch the hell out of my car.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Would you agree that if the salt was to remain in the water, your car would leave the car wash with a visible film of salt all over it?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
i would agree with that...

but only way to find out is to ask the owners or workers of the car washes...

·
!FRENCH FRY!
4,236 Posts
the carwash down the corner from me has signs clearly posted that they use re-cycled water.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We're not talking about a large salt content, like sea-water. Probably not enough to be visible........

But when it's sprayed under pressure, it penetrates seams and cracks everywhere, particularly the under-side. And it only takes a little salt to start the rust and corrosion process.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts