Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't specific to the Focus, but I can never remember....

I'm in Illinois... when I buy a car in Illinois, is the sales tax calculated on where you live (the county) or is it based on where the car is purchased from?

I know if you buy one out of state, it based on the general state sales tax for that state. But I'll be buying one within the state in which I reside.

How does this work again, if someone could please explain to me?

·
Premium Member
8,343 Posts
it is where the vehicle will be registered. ex. i now live in cook county, but i bought a car in sangamon county (springfield) The car taxes will be based on Cook. Sucks i know. The way around it is if you know some one that lives in the county you are going to buy your car in, have some mail sent over there then take out a new state id, and boom register your car in said county, in a couple weeks switch back. youd spend about 20 dollars but saves you hundreds. (disclaimer this is pure hypothetical I am just joking around whatever you decide to do is your own business and i am not held liable.) so good luck!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That's what I thought... my local dealer (whom I'd really like to buy the car from) is using that as a selling point--that we have a lower then normal sales tax rate. But if what you say is true,then it shouldn't matter really where I buy the car, as long as it's in IL.

I would buy the car from him, but have found the exact one I want at another dealer in towards Chicago (where the tax rate is 9.5% vs. 6.5% where i live, but my local dealer cannot get anyone to trade with him the vehicle I want so now I have to go in towards Chicago to get it.... sucks for him and me because I really want to support my local dealer, but when there is a $1000+ price difference, a $30 trip to chicago to save $1000 off a car is more worth it at that point...)

·
RespectMyAuthoritah!
7,105 Posts
Doesn't matter what state or county, you pay your county sales tax

1 - 4 of 4 Posts