Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Saleen Focus N20 weighted metal shift knob today. You can pick one up HERE on FF for $22.50 shipped.

Nice, very nice shift knob. However they do not come with screws and while some like the clean look without them my first stop was Lowes (you will have to trim the screws to length). I just used a nut screwed all the way on, and cut of the excess length, that left the perfect amount of thread for the knob.

Here's the knob with the screws installed;

And then I had one more issue, I didn't like the way it fit in my stock shift boot. It just sat in that big hole the stock knob fits in.

OK, so I just happened to have an extra Steeda billet headlight switch cover laying around, so I went to work.

The switch cover and the inside of that hole in the boot only required a little work with with dremel before the cover fit right into the hole. And this is what I wound up with.

I also hit the switch cover with a wire wheel on my dremel to give it the same brushed appearance as the new knob.

Oops, glad I posted those pics, I can see that I need to unwind that boot a little. Oh yeah, I also have an F2 short shifter installed so there's a little more slack than normal in the boot material.

·
FUBARCUS
7,772 Posts
That looks really cool Brad. As always your fit and finish is fantastic. You should start making parts and selling them people would gobble up your beautiful work.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[:I] Wow, thank you

·
Made In The USA
2,010 Posts
Looks great, good thinking with the switch cover, nice finish! [thumb]

·
Registered
202 Posts
That is really nice! I personally like how it looks without screws too. Anyways that shift boot is annoying the hell out of me...it looks ridiculous without that piece you have on yours...I have to figure out how to make one on the cheap...

·
Drunkinmonkey
2,678 Posts
hurray for the brad white mods....always seem to come out just perfect

·
Registered
518 Posts
FYI, Ace Hardware has 8-32 x 3/8 cap head screws that work great on the Saleen knob, I installed the screws yesterday. I'm goin to Ace whenever I need hardware as their selection is MUCH better than Lowe's or HD.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good idea with the switch cover Brad. I'm just going to cut off the plastic piece in the shift boot and sew it back up around the little seam that goes around the knob. Make it so it can't slide anywhere!

Thanks for listing those screw sizes too, I'm going to lowes on my way home

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI, Ace Hardware has 8-32 x 3/8 cap head screws that work great on the Saleen knob, I installed the screws yesterday. I'm goin to Ace whenever I need hardware as their selection is MUCH better than Lowe's or HD.
We used to have an ACE right up the street but they've been gone for a long time now and I miss 'em for sure.

I am just going to cut off the plastic piece in the shift boot and sew it back up around the little seam that goes around the knob.
I'd sure like to see how that turns out! Can you post up some pics when you're done.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wow, im jealous. looks nice. does this shift knob eliminate the reverse lockout?

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone able to answer that for sure? The 08' doesn't have reverse lockout so I'm not familiar with how to eliminate it.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK, never being happy I made a little adjustment today.

Before

After (I enlarged the hole in the headlight switch cover to allow the bottom of the shift knob to go through)

·
Registered
219 Posts
that's really cool...before and after will work for me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
i definitly like the after look alot. so does anyone know about the reverse lockout?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
did I mention our water heater's maker is Bradford White? [hihi]

lol, well that looks great......another wonderful addition. I just love how you happen to have an "extra" billet headlight switch, lol.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just love how you happen to have an "extra" billet headlight switch, lol.
Water heater, now there's something I haven't modified (yet). Hey, I not only had one extra switch cover, I had three. I gave away one and the other one now has a hole in it that just happens to be the same size as the shift lever. That would be the one I used in the first pics.

If anyone would like it just PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.

Disclaimer: Actually the hole is the size of the shift lever on an F2 USA short shifter.

·
I Nom Cones
2,599 Posts
do you have any more of those things laying around? i would pay you to make one for me....????

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have one that already has a hole in it for the shift lever. If you want it it your's, for free. Just PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.

·
Head Hurt
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
extra switch cover gone!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts