Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking through different threads and saw some people using the AFC II for the SVT but not for the Zetec. I'm not sure if there is a difference, but there shouldn't be.

I ordered the SAFC Neo, and read on different threads that it will work for about a day or so, then the computer will re-program itself back to the origional settings. I don't know why it would because it splices right into the wiring directly in the computer. And if the computer will try to reset itself the SAFC will re-program it again because it's always hooked up to a power supply? Is that right or did I miss something along the way?

I'm not using it for performance, I'm using it for tuning my turbo to make the engine not run too lean.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
ok, exactly what are you talking about/ neaver heard safc neo befor. what its it and such, got any links?is this like a programmer or what. being vague with what your talking about wont find many answers.
the only way to tune properly is on a dyno...period.
if this is one of the lame chips that splices into a couple of wires... glad you believe that crap.
spend a crapload on performance parts and trying to cheap out on tuning will get you only one place...starting all over again.
if it has to be spliced in, don't use it.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
oh, and theres some big time differences between the svt and regular zetec. svt has different perameters and a few othe things added to the ecu

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
I dunno if it'll work on the SVT, but my friend had one on his srt-4. if you have a turbo also look into a turbo timer. good luck

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Ah yes. My Honda friend has a VAFC (Vtec and Air/Fuel Controller) that splices directly into a few lines going into and out of the ECU. It shouldn't reprogram itself as the whole purpose is to change certain parameters in the ECU. If it's for a normal Zetec it most likely won't work on a SVT or vice versa even though they're technically the same motor. All in all though you're going to need a boost controller if you're going turbo which I believe should be able to handle the same things as the AFC and more, but I'm not sure since I really don't know anything about turbo setups.

·
Late for Dinner
15,332 Posts
i would suggest not using it on the svt since it has variable cam timine. your changing the a/f ratio but doing nothing with the timing which isnt a good thing with boost since too much timing will cause detonation in a boosted engine.
timing needs to be retarded along with a richer a/f mixture.
get your money back and get a real tune. hate when people do this and a few months later are back here whining about trashing their motor...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Get the Innovate Motorsport Lm-1 or PLX Device and have it street tuned

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The SAFC Neo has a high and low throttle setting, meaning that if you hammer on the throttle, it will adjust different that if you just drive normal. I got it today from FedEx. I was reading the manual on how to use it, and what wires it hooks up to. It takes the wire that controls the A/F and cuts it and there is two wires on the SAFC and re-wires them. I'm just using it for the turbo until I eventually get a stand alone. I'm going to get a boost controller and guage soon too. The actuator is set to 8.3psi, which should run fine on stock internals. I have another engine in my garage on a stand which I plan to build up the internals and the head.

·
Broken cars s[:)][:)][:)] :(
18,832 Posts
im pretty sure all safc has a high and low throttle setup
my buddy has a safc 2 on his srt4,and that is what we tuned it with.
apparantly that's a popular mod among SRT-4 owners. I know a couple people that used em.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts