Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The National Auto Sport Association (NASA) regretfully announces the passing of Cale Kastanek of Hagerstown, MD from injuries suffered as a result of an accident on November 9, 2008 at Summit Point Raceway in Summit Point, WV. Cale was a champion competitor, seasoned instructor, and great friend to many in the motorsports community and the NASA Mid Atlantic family. Cale was active in many forms of motorsports including Time Trial, autocross, and also many other activities related to his love of the Honda S2000. Cale was also a professional pilot and an avid mountain bike enthusiast. Cale will be missed sorely and we wish him Godspeed.

Viewing and Memorial Services for Cale Kastanek

Funeral Viewing - November 13, 7-9 pm
Memorial Service - November 14, 1:30 pm
Douglas Fiery Funeral Home
1331 Eastern Blvd
Hagerstown, MD
301-791-7759​

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Oh no, I heard there was a back wreck...My condolences to the family and friends.

·
Flipping Rockstar
16,788 Posts
My condolences to all of Cales family and friends as well, this is a tragic loss, yes. But, He died doing what He loved. One can only pray for such an exit...

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I have been talking to a few of my friends about this most recent incident. It is truly sad, I know people say well he died doing what he loved but the more I think about that it still doesn’t make it any better. I’m going to reevaluate my perches this off season and at the top the list will be a HANS device.

·
OMGVTAK!
60,646 Posts
This is very sad to hear.

RIP.

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
Sorry to hear that Tom. [:(]
I’m going to reevaluate my perches this off season and at the top the list will be a HANS device.
^^^Care to elaborate?
I take it, you mean harness attachment points?
Is that something that can be attributed to Cale's death?
(Sorry, I'm on the wrong end of the continent to be kept abreast of these issues.)

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
head and neck support
its kind of a brace that helps keep your head and neck at motion with the vehicle to prevent damage by rapid forms of positive and negative acceleration due to impact

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The best information that I have (and I was not there) is that the accident occured on the back straight at Summit Point.

As Cale entered the braking zone at 120MPH+, the car suffered a catastrophic brake failure in the right rear.

Speculation is that a cracked rotor exploded under braking and induced a spin. He continued down the track and missed the gravel trap and the tire wall. That carried him down a narrow access road where he impacted a concrete retaining wall broadside (passenger door).

It was a kind of "perfect storm" scenario. He was wearing harnesses (no HANS) and was in a race seat. The car had a roll bar, but not a full cage.

Given the circumstances, it is unlikely that a HANS or a cage would have saved him, but that is pure speculation.

As I said, I wasn't there.

Cale was a very popular driver and a patient and talented instructor.

To give you an idea of the kind of person he was, Cale was very fast, but also very humble. He would never brag about lap times or performance. He simply drove. And DROVE well.

He was also quick to help out fellow drivers, students and organizers in need.

He also used to say

"Never step on others to make yourself look taller."

I'll never forget that.

It's been a tough day. [:(]

·
Focus autox'r
2,507 Posts
A sad day indeed.
That is a very good quote Tom.
Sounds like a great guy that will surely be missed.
You never know when your time will come.
Condolences to his family, and friends.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
^^^Thanks, however, I do know what a HANS is.
I was referring to "I’m going to reevaluate my perches".
Sorry that’s my bad spelling and spellchecker acting up. What I was trying to was Purchases. Once I started going to the track about 5 years a go I have read stories such as this every few months, and have also see a few pretty bad incidents. I’m sure Tom has had the same experience.

I took about 2 year off for track events, e for two reasons. One I needed a car that the wreck and not care that I wrecked it, and second I wanted to work on making my car safer.

This year I added fixed back seats, seat back braces, properly mounted harnesses, and replaced the old harnesses due to age. Next year I want to build a stronger Seat Brackets and get a HANS and new helmet.

My friend and I had been talking about HANS’s for the past year but neither of us has gotten one yet. As Tom said a HANS may or may not have helped. But every time I read a story like this it really makes me think about Safety. To me the more you get in to this sport the more you have to really make sure you have the right gear and check everything over on the car. I’m not saying this accident was in anyway was do to bad maintenance or not having the right gear, for me a tragic events such as this makes me refocus on the safety aspect of the sport. It easy when your out on track to for get about these things when you adrenalin gets going and your just trying to find a better and faster line.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My friend and I had been talking about HANS’s for the past year but neither of us has gotten one yet. As Tom said a HANS may or may not have helped. But every time I read a story like this it really makes me think about Safety. To me the more you get in to this sport the more you have to really make sure you have the right gear and check everything over on the car. I’m not saying this accident was in anyway was do to bad maintenance or not having the right gear, for me a tragic events such as this makes me refocus on the safety aspect of the sport. It easy when your out on track to for get about these things when you adrenalin gets going and your just trying to find a better and faster line.
Well said.

At heart, we are all enthusiasts and some of us decide to take the leap into the world of track events.

Some do it for the thrill and others do it to refine a craft and an art.

The common theme is that, regardless of your motives, luck does enter the equation and it can be a VERY high stakes game.

Like Schroeder, a story like this is always a cathartic moment. It makes me re-evaluate how I go about pursuing this hobby. Did I check my tire pressure? I should have enough brake pad material left for one more run. The fluids should be fine.

It is all too easy to get complacent and cut corners. With a 6 month old in my world now, I can't afford to do that.

Cale was not that kind of person.

The point being is that there is and will always be risk associated with this passion. Unfortunately, sometimes, no matter how well prepared you are - fate intervenes.

Take care of yourself, your equipment and check your ego in the paddock.

Then, and ONLY THEN put the car on the track and have some fun.

That's what Cale would have done.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Though I did not follow this style of racing (more of a drag racer) and I never knew Cale, but this is a tragic event that will affect all of motorsports.

Godspeed to Cale Kastanek, may he rest in peace and prayers to his family.

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
that sucks. i bet he tried his best to save it, but sometimes you can't make it out ok.

just his time I guess.........[:(]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts