Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a K&N Drop in Filter, and I was reading around and saw some people said they removed the S tube thats on the right side of the airbox. I figured it can't hurt anything, so I took it off and dropped in the new filter. It sounds great now, just wondering if anyone has removed this and had any problems?
Thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
My previous owner removed mine, and ive had no problems. I think its supposed to make a better intake sound when its removed, but I never heard the before difference so I dont know. Brand new K&N's dont filter as well as dirty ones so you run the risk of MAYBE having particles sucked in, especially with a opening in your intake that close to the filter...ITG's are 100% filtration from day one [giggle] tehehe, but that is neither here nor there.

·
Premium Member
3,617 Posts
I removed mine before I went turbo and never had a problem and you are right it make the car sound totally different. One of the two best free mods you can do, the other being the counter balance removal.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Nope won't hurt a thing and it sounds much much better [thumb]

·
I AM DA FOCI FANATIC
3,715 Posts
Your fine its just a resonator to quiet intake noise.

·
Wings & Teeth
2,465 Posts
i just took my entire stock air box off and put a cone filter on it and bought a breather filter and sounds way better.
sounds like a vacuum in my engine bay haha.

·
coooookie monster
7,570 Posts
i took it off and my car idle'd weird so i put it back on

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
i just took my entire stock air box off and put a cone filter on it and bought a breather filter and sounds way better.
sounds like a vacuum in my engine bay haha.
the breather filter is causing un-metered air to enter your engine FYI

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I had mine off for a while and ended up putting it back on. This weekend I bored out my throttle body and today I went for a test drive. Holy crap it sounded like I have a cone on there. I had a V6 Eclipse with a CAI on it and my SVT is a lot louder. I have a K&N as well. Hmmm I might take it back off just to see how it sounds....

·
Registered
282 Posts
Are you guys plugging the hole or just leaving it as is?

·
Registered
806 Posts
get rid of the whole thing and get a cai :)

you dont plug the whole, just leave it open. the sound is almost unnoticeable imo.

·
Registered
55 Posts
^^^The change in sound (louder) is rather dramatic...
I'm not sure why you didn't notice it as much? [dunno]
Perhaps he has a rather loud exhaust like I do. I took mine out and can only hear a tiny tiny difference. I'm sure with a more subdued exhaust you would notice.

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
get rid of the whole thing and get a cai :)

you dont plug the whole, just leave it open. the sound is almost unnoticeable imo.
you do know that the stock airbox outflows all aftermarket intakes available, assuming you have a K&N drop-in of course...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts