Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I am down in VA visiting my brother inlaw. Yesterday I pulled the car up to his detached garage to put a little air in my tires. Started the car up move in 20 feet, filled the tires, went to strat the car up again and nothing,

Getting complete electrical power to "everything" in the car except the start circuit. Clutch being depressed all the way to engage the switch. We also tried to "jump" that switch but without success.

In addition. When trying to figure this out, I can hear the fuel pump power up, the cold start solenoid(?) power up and in the beginning of this problem, the clutch switch open & close. Now I can not hear the clutch switch "click" at all when pushing the clutch in and trying to start the car.

Any help, suggetions, help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.........

·
Registered
535 Posts
The sclutch switch has a microswitch that is depressed when you press the clutch pedal, similar to the brake light switch. The micro switch could break and you would need to replace it. One sugestion for you, altough one you try at your own risk, is to cut the wires going to the clutch switch (giving yourself a good amount to reattach later) the jump the wires together. This will complete the circuit and allow your car to startup, if the switch is the probem. I would only try the suggestion as a last resort, IE you have to move the car.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
What is the "cold start solinoid"? Are you sure you're not hearing the starter solenoid? Get somebody to help you, then MAKE SURE THIS THING IS IN NEUTRAL AND THE EBRAKE IS ON!! Have them hold the key in the start position while you crawl under there and whack the starter with a hammer. Be ready because the engine might roll over and fire right up. Try to whack the starter near the free end, where the brushes are. If that worked, you need a starter.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Try bump starting it and see if it runs okay ( if you have a good hill and know how.). The you will know if its the starting system or something worse.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
Possible...that would mean the alternator died at some point during the trip and the battery just went below whatever charge it has to have to turn the engine over. You could try putting a volt meter on the battery and see what its getting, but I'd also take viney's suggestion and try to roll-start it. Just get the car moving (about 5 MPH will do), put it in 1st gear with the key in the on position and engage the clutch. The car rolling will turn the engine over when the clutch engages...when you hear the engine turn over push the clutch back in. Although...if the alternator is dead the engine may still start and run...there may be enough power left in the battery to run the coil but not turn the engine over.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
^-^ Use 5th gear. You don't need to turn the engine over very fast, only 200 rpm, if that, so 5th works better. If the car is moving slowly, like if your buddies are physically pushing it, 1rst gear will stop the car, like slamming the brake on. If you're moving fast, like rolling downhill, 1rst might shock the driveline and could even do damage if done carelessly. Fifth has none of these drawbacks- there's really never a need to use first.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
*shrugs*
That's the way I've always done it...never really thought to use any of the other gears. I'll keep that in mind for the next time my battery dies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts