Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
FF PHOTOG ENTHUSIAST
15,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are getting back into 5K runs and supporting the hospital fights against different diseases and issues.

In 2 weeks we are running for another Cancer run.

How do you runners prepare for 5Ks or 10Ks ... any of you peeps run Marathons? I envy those who do run the Marathons ... that's some major training right there.

I probably run once every 2-3 days ... I should do more, but work keeps me busy.

-Ray-

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Honestly, for me thats not much distance, but i understand it might be different for you. Your best bet is to run long distances and run terrain that will be similar to your marathons . Considering your in tx, the weather shouldn't be too shabby for you. 3 and 6 mile runs will not make your body do weird things so you should have to worry about carb loading up or anything. I wouldn't recommend downing energy drinks or anything of that nature, just hydrate the night prior and in the morning with water. After wards, it wouldnt hurt to down a Gatorade for faster recovery. Make sure you stretch very good up to the events to ensure you won't cramp or injure urself. Thats about it, besides that, its all mental.

·
Rebecca
2016 Focus ST
18,797 Posts
jogging destroys your knees. Humans were built to either walk or sprint. Guess which one is the sprinter

But as a non runner, I would presume you would have to steadily build up to over a long period of time depending on the distance. Also, you might want to make sure you have a really good pair of shoes.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
How is the running going? I also run 5K's and plan on running one or two 10K's this year. Here is a great article to help bring things into perspective: Solving the 5K Puzzle

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
jogging destroys your knees. Humans were built to either walk or sprint. Guess which one is the sprinter

But as a non runner, I would presume you would have to steadily build up to over a long period of time depending on the distance. Also, you might want to make sure you have a really good pair of shoes.
While this is a bit extreme, and the photos are not accurately describing the athletes, you are correct saying people are not made to "jog". It does kill the shins and knees. I can run a 10K, but "fake" running at my 4 year old's pace instantly hurts my shins.

That guy on the left is a distance runner (not a jogger). He'd probably destroy most normal people in a 5K though, especially the sprinter on the right.

·
Jetsetter
6,650 Posts
There are a few iPhone apps (im sure they are on android too) to get you ready for a 5k, Couch-to-5K is a very popular one. My GF has been using it and shes doing her first 5K this week.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts