Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just put in a air/fuel ratio gauge to discover i'm running extremely lean, only mod is a short ram. anyone have any ideas as to how i can correct this. i'd like to avoid buying new injectors if possible. thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think it is running lean, because when i start from a stop it needs to be up around 2 to 3 k rpms to move and it idles a little rough

·
Registered
248 Posts
a lot of focus' idle funny....but...try and run an injector cleaner through it.....i am not master at fuel systems....maybe someone will chime in and help....but that would be my first guess

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok well my gauge starts at red=lean yellow=ideal blue=rich from left to right. when i drive it starts and red and maybe lights up a bit of the 2nd red bar. if i open it up it starts to hit orange around 5 or 6k rpm but its still a good ways from being at ideal. i did run some injector cleaner but all that did was kill my o2 sensor. i'm wondering if it mite b a bad fuel filter?

·
The Librarian
13,116 Posts
1) Do you have an aftermarket tune?
If so, have you gotten an update to compensate for the short ram?

2) If you don't have a tune:
Did you disconnect the negative cable from the battery to reset the ECU after you installed the short ram?

I've never heard of fuel injector cleaner killing an O2 sensor. [dunno]

I hate to say it, but a narrow band A/F gauge at best will provide a decent light show.
It's really not the diagnostic tool that a wide band unit would be.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i don't have an aftermarket tune, i have disconnected the negative since the short ram was installed, not to correct it but to install new a new battery, what would you recomment i do to fix my problem?

·
Premium Member
21,259 Posts
sleeping6spd said:
i think it is running lean, because when i start from a stop it needs to be up around 2 to 3 k rpms to move and it idles a little rough
That sounds more like your exhaust is clogged to me. If the engine was running too lean then you'd be hearing popping noises from the exhaust at idle.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I had a lean code.

replaced:
02 sensors
welded hole in egr tube
ran injector cleaner through
new injector o-rings
fuel filter

Ended up being the plugs weren't gapped. Previous owner didn't know you have to gap autolites. [rolleyes]

My exhaust never made "popping" noises.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i think my plugs are alright although i'll check them again, my exhaust does make a "popping" although not so much at idle, more like if it is reved and allowed to return to idle it makes a low "popping" as the rpms drop, i think i will need new exhaust either way whether it helps my air/fuel ratio or not

·
Registered
19 Posts
No it couldn't.

It's your gauge, it's worthless. Narrow band O2 gauges are NOT to be treated as accurate diagnostic tools. In fact they're not to be treated as anything other than blinky lights.

A wide band O2 setup with EGR is about the only way that you could ACCURATELY gauge what A/F ratio your car is running.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what is the difference in hook up of a narrow band and wide band gauge? i was under the impression that use of both o2 sensors was wide band and use of one was narrow?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
the first o2 sensor is the wide band o2 sensor and the second o2 sensor is the narrow band

1 - 17 of 17 Posts