Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I cold start my SVT it seems to run rich and miss for 20-60 seconds approximately than as it warms up it clears up and purrs like a kitten. I've tracked down all vacuum leaks to the best of my ability and have had the timing belt, water pump and all associated parts replaced. I replaced the thermostat, housing and temp sensor. Replaced the spark plugs and wires. i did all of this as preventative maintenance because that's what I do when I purchase a used car that I want to keep. With the exception of the cold miss I described the car seems to run extremely well. It pulls strong into the rev range and it just feels good in all situations. Just baffled as to what is causing the cold miss and rich smell for the first minute after starting it?
The car is a 2002 SVT with 127,000 miles on it, It is extremely clean in all mechanical respects and all stock. No codes currently ... I have an obd reader plugged into the port to monitor engine temp and various other data until I'm confident I've sorted it out. I did have p0125 after replacing the thermostat and housing but found I just needed to bleed all the air out of the system and now it seems good without any pending codes. I've put about 400 miles on it without a return code. I did also have p0136 and I went through all of the vacuum lines and replaced as needed and this code has not retuned so I'm stumped as to what to check next?
Any ideas or direction would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
3,138 Posts
When I cold start my SVT it seems to run rich and miss for 20-60 seconds approximately than as it warms up it clears up and purrs like a kitten. I've tracked down all vacuum leaks to the best of my ability and have had the timing belt, water pump and all associated parts replaced. I replaced the thermostat, housing and temp sensor. Replaced the spark plugs and wires. i did all of this as preventative maintenance because that's what I do when I purchase a used car that I want to keep. With the exception of the cold miss I described the car seems to run extremely well. It pulls strong into the rev range and it just feels good in all situations. Just baffled as to what is causing the cold miss and rich smell for the first minute after starting it?
The car is a 2002 SVT with 127,000 miles on it, It is extremely clean in all mechanical respects and all stock. No codes currently ... I have an obd reader plugged into the port to monitor engine temp and various other data until I'm confident I've sorted it out. I did have p0125 after replacing the thermostat and housing but found I just needed to bleed all the air out of the system and now it seems good without any pending codes. I've put about 400 miles on it without a return code. I did also have p0136 and I went through all of the vacuum lines and replaced as needed and this code has not retuned so I'm stumped as to what to check next?
Any ideas or direction would be much appreciated!
Fuel filter been replaced or at least dumped out? Mine did this when the fuel pump was going bad.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Did you check the intake runner hoses?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Completelymobile

·
Registered
138 Posts

·
FF Affiliate
31,419 Posts
Get a Cigar and do a smoke test for a Vac leak

How old is your front o2 , it could be going bad and not show a code

Tom

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Get a Cigar and do a smoke test for a Vac leak

How old is your front o2 , it could be going bad and not show a code

Tom
Not sure on the o2 sensor. It does look clean and newish. I will take your advise and do a smoke test this weekend.

I've only owned the car since May of this year and it didn't come with service records so I got a great price on it and am going through it for piece of mind. It is all stock and appears to not be raced or messed with plus its very clean underneath the hood including the running gear. Everything I've done so far has made positive results in performance. Car drives very well and is solid.

Two years ago I had a clean 2003 x3 that came with my diesel pusher and I sold it thinking I'd like to tow my Tahoe until I realized it would cost $3k+ to add a supplemental braking system. So I decided to find another Focus and stumbled onto this little gem for next to nothing knowing it was a project and a bit of a gamble but the more I do to it the more I love this car!

I will defiantly add your tuner once I sort it out.

Thank you for contributing to my journey!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fuel filter been replaced or at least dumped out? Mine did this when the fuel pump was going bad.
As usual you were correct! I changed the fuel filter and it starts perfectly even this morning when it was 45*. Btw the black crud that came out of it was unreal.
Thanks again you are the SVT guru! :cool:

·
Registered
2004 ZX3 SVT EE. 2004 ZX3 SVT
3,138 Posts
As usual you were correct! I changed the fuel filter and it starts perfectly even this morning when it was 45*. Btw the black crud that came out of it was unreal.
Thanks again you are the SVT guru! :cool:
That is great news. You're very welcome.

·
FF Affiliate
31,419 Posts
Two years ago I had a clean 2003 x3 that came with my diesel pusher and I sold it thinking I'd like to tow my Tahoe until I realized it would cost $3k+ to add a supplemental braking system. S
I just had my new 37C Fleetwood delivered , I towed my Escape with my previous RV and I use a tow dolly ( Demco Kar Kaddy ) they have surge Disc Brakes and the wheels turn on the tow dolly as you turn. Going to do my first trip with the 37C next week and towing the Escape , Have you seen them ?

Tom

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just had my new 37C Fleetwood delivered , I towed my Escape with my previous RV and I use a tow dolly ( Demco Kar Kaddy ) they have surge Disc Brakes and the wheels turn on the tow dolly as you turn. Going to do my first trip with the 37C next week and towing the Escape , Have you seen them ?

Tom
No, I have not seen a tow caddy with wheels that turn. That sounds pretty interesting. Fleetwood makes a good product. So far I really like towing 4 down because it's easy and I don’t need to store another devise. The Focus weighs less than 3000lbs so it’s legal to tow without a supplemental braking system on a coach equipped with air brakes. I towed a Jeep Wrangler 4 down for 5 years using an Air Force One supplemental braking system and it worked great but it was expensive and I couldn’t easily remove the system from my Jeep. I sold that 38 Holiday Rambler/Jeep combo and purchased a Fleetwood American Eagle 40’ that came with a Ford Focus x3 toad. It towed great but I decided it would be a great idea to tow my Tahoe and hastily sold my Focus! When you add a Tahoe to a 40’ coach I’d be pushing 60’ plus it weighs approx. 6000lbs. This meant I needed to add and install a new heavy duty braking system in the Tahoe plus purchase a new heavier duty tow bar/mounts etc. So since I had sold the Focus I decided to find another 4 down towable car that weighed less than 3000 lbs so I could use the tow bar set up that came with my Eagle and Focus combo. I narrowed my search down to the Cooper and Focus both in the sub 3000 lb weight category and that’s when I stumbled upon this little SVT. So the Tahoe is my comfort hauling vehicle and the SVT is my fun tow vehicle plus it was a bargain even with the differed maintenance I’ve had to invest into it. Post a picture of that tow dolly if you get a chance and enjoy your new coach!
Mike

·
FF Affiliate
31,419 Posts
Here is a link Kar Kaddy SS Tow Dolly | Demco

Another nice thing about the Kar Kaddy is the ramps and the tongue folds up so its about 3.5 feet long , I unhook and drop it to the ground and back over it , fold up the ramps and it sticks out the back of the RV about 2 feet

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice! I like the steerable axles that's one of the things I like about towing 4 down the fact that the vehicles wheels turn with the coach. Folding and surge brakes seems like a no brainer ... enjoy and thanks for sharing, I might convert down the road.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Choose your gas retailer on quality and octane rating, never on price; 02 focus gas filter swap every 9 months , especially in humid areas of storage and populated air quality areas.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts