Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and suprisingly enough I have some questions! I recently purchased a 2000 ZX3 5 speed car (has the 2.0L zetec motor in it). It needed some work, but I now have working door handles on the car so thats a start. I've moved on to getting the car running at 100%. Herein lies my issue(s).

The car seems to idle rough when cold. It smooths out once warm, but you can still feel the car shaking a bit. I have a generic obd2 code reader and it was giving me a P0301 which should be a misfire in cylinder #1. Once I get up to highway speeds (above 80km/h or 50mph) in either 4th or 5th gear, the check engine light starts flashing. If I put the car into 5th gear below 50mph, the car runs extremely rough (especially if you floor it).

Things that I am going to try: #1 it needs the thermostat to be replaced as I believe it is stuck open. At highway speeds, the temperature drops down to the white block on the left hand side of the gauge. #2 I am going to replace the plugs and wires as they don't look like they have ever been changed (car has 100,000 miles on it). #3 I am going to look at if this has anything to do with the EGR system, as I've heard that the DPFE sensor tends to go quite frequently.

Do you have any other suggestions? It seems extremely odd that the car runs rough only above a certain speed, especially once in 5th gear. Any tips/hints/clues as to what it could be would be great. Thanks in advance!

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Sounds like a good plan.
For plug wires just go with the cheapest and lowest Ohm you can find, I found the cheap AutoZone wires work well (I don't think you guys have AutoZone up there though).
Stick with Motorcraft or Autolite spark plugs, and don't let anyone tell you different.
You may also want to give the local Ford garage a call tomorrow and have them run your VIN to see if any recalls need to be done, the fuel pump is a nasty one and bites many people.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I changed the plugs and wires, no dice even though a spark plug was LOOSE [eek] and the electrodes on the plugs were worn down to nothing (I don't think they had ever been changed). I also replaced the air filter for shits and giggles because it was plugged solid. I tried the focus hacks suggestion for seeing if the EGR system was messed, but thats not my problem either.

The check engine light comes on ONLY above 80km/h, and it flashes. It doesn't matter if the car is in 3rd, 4th, or 5th as long as it is above 80km/h 50mph. When in 5th gear at low rpm (below 2000rpm) and I stomp on it the car bucks bad (check engine light also comes on). The check engine light goes away if I let off the gas completely and coast in gear. It seems to idle low (500rpm). I do not have any of the vaccum hose issues that have been mentioned in other threads.

A big problem I am having is that there are no codes?! How can that be, if the check engine light flashes that there are no codes? I managed to get a code at one point since when I started the car the check engine light was solid. It said that it was a P0108, which could be the MAP sensor? I just don't want to go buying a ton of parts that don't help my problem [mecry] It WOULD make sense though, because the car idles super rich and has been getting terrible gas mileage. Since a P0108 is MAP sensor voltage too high, that would be causing the car to run rich. Now I just have to find a MAP sensor to borrow!

·
Registered
324 Posts
if u cant get above 50 mph, then u have a fuel delivery issue.. im betting ur fuel pump is dying... have u checked your fuel pressures?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
You might try a new fuel filter before going any further. From your description, the filter needs to be changed also. And a clogged filter will give those symptoms at highway speeds.

That flashing CEL.....won't turn on the light, but it will leave a code that some readers can pick up. The cheap code readers only can see a code that turns on the CEL.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You might try a new fuel filter before going any further. From your description, the filter needs to be changed also. And a clogged filter will give those symptoms at highway speeds.

That flashing CEL.....won't turn on the light, but it will leave a code that some readers can pick up. The cheap code readers only can see a code that turns on the CEL.
Mine Gave me Similar problems As Well, New Fuel Filter Cleared them right up

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to clarify, the car runs perfectly fine in 5th above 100km/h, except the check engine light flashes at me for some reason. It has plenty of get up and go. The rough running is only while lugging the motor at low rpm in 5th. The fuel filter probably has never been changed either, so I'll look into doing that as it seems a relatively simple job (unless you guys are suggesting the in-tank filter)? Thanks for all the help guys, I'm trying to get the car into perfect drivable shape for when I go back to school on the 5th!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, just thought I'd let everyone know its the coil pack! I bought a junkyard replacement, car runs like a dream. Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm having almost exactly the same problem as you right now. Hopefully another coil pack will take care of this!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts