Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

My Focus 2000 is running lean. I am replacing everything that I find connected to hesitation from this forum.

I have 125k miles on my focus ( SPI )

Here is my list of replacement parts
-----------------------------------
PCV Valve
PCV Hose
Spark Plugs
Cleaned MAF sensor
Replaced Engine Air Filter @112k miles
PCV Air Box Tube Assembly
Replaced Fuel Filter @112k miles
O2 bank 1 sensor
TPS (Throttle position sensor)

I read couple of thread on clogged fuel filter because certain state uses E10. In my case, it's very true because I go to Costco gas station. So, I am going to install new filter even though I had one installed @112 miles. Let's see how that goes.

Fuel filter is my last option. I am sure not what else should I look at. Any input ?

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
well, i know this isn't the best idea, but u could always run heavier fuel injectors

·
Registered
50 Posts
How do you know its running lean? The computer continually makes corrections to keep your car running at 14.7 AFR anytime the car is warmed up and not in "Wide Open Throttle Mode."

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Once it's warmed then it's hard on acceleration, and it barely moves. I can feel hesitation when I try to push gas padel. The condition is relly bad under 50 mph.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
i dont know anything about zetecs, but i had a similar issue with one of my other cars, and turned out my timing was off. could this have happened to your car? wouldnt be a lean issue so much, but could affect hesitation.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
You need to find someone close that can datalog the car and see whats going on.

The big things to check O2#1, TPS, Clean MAf and replace the Fuel filter you have already done.

But Have you tried resetting the ECU??? That may help out the situation... simply unhook the NEGATIVE side of the battery for 5 minutes the hook it back up, start the car and let it idle for ~5 more minutes then go for a drive and see how it does.... sometimes a simple ECU reset can fix alot of issues.

FWIW some will tell you to unhook the ECU for alot longer times (up to 15 minutes) but in reality its not needed to do it that long.

·
Token Engin-nerd
3,414 Posts
well, i know this isn't the best idea, but u could always run heavier fuel injectors

nooooooo!!! come on man you know better than that.

How do you know its lean, are you getting a code?

chances are you have a vacuum leak somewhere.

but, change the fuel filter anyway it is cheap and easy.

·
Premium Member
3,110 Posts
Yeah i would check your header and manifold for cracks my old talon had a cracked exhaust manifold and it was almost impossible to get moving from 0 MPH (i had to put the pedal to the floor to get it moving)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys - I am sure that there is no vaccume leak. I got that confirmed through my ford dealer. Now, resetting ECU, I should try that.

I put 12k after changing my last fuel filter. So, today I am going to install new fuel filter and see how it goes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
03OrangeSVT - You were correct on ECU. Instread of replacing fuel filter, I disconnected negative battery cable and idle the car for 5 mins, then took it for a spin. That made my day. I am finally out of frustration. ALL THANKS TO THIS FORUM.

Although, I am really pissed on my local repair shop mechanic. The guy charged me 130$ labor for installing TPS, but he didn't disconnect negative battery cable and reset ECU.

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
130 for ur tps?? damn! on the DT, its maybe 15 mins. what a rip! did u have the problem b4 u had that tps done? it would be weird that ur prob is just GONE now, so son . usually takes time, like a week, for the car to relearn.

either way, glad u seem to have it fixed!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It really hurts to pay 130$ for TPS. I planned on replacing myself, but the TB was too damn hard to pull. Not sure if it was glued or stucked. So, after spending 3-4 hours on that job, I decided to pay a visit to repair shop. I handed him Gasket and TPS that I bought from Autozone, and paid for the labor. The guy didn't reset ECU, so the car ran like crap after the installation. So, yesterday I reset ECU and the car runs great now !

I love this forum !

·
Force-Powered Focus
6,877 Posts
damn bro, you should go back and demand some dineiro back!!

least its workin right now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts