Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 2001 Zetec ZX3 that seems to be running hotter than it used to in previous years. So far, there's no issue with actually overheating, but whenever I get stuck in traffic, the temperature gauge creeps towards the red. The good news is, the fans always come on and the gauge backs down to the middle of its sweep. The bad news is, it's getting pretty cold out - what sort of fun am I in for when summer arrives?

I haven't had the A/C on the past several times I've noticed this, and yes, I realize that the defrogger (so much more fun than defroster) uses the A/C. Am I just paranoid?

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
hmm......... from what I've heard (well that, and experienced) the focus does a hell of a job keeping that needle right there in the middle...... so I'm thinking that err, it could be a thermostat issue, just off the top of my head...

btw, weren't you the one that had an issue with it stalling or something?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thermostat issue = cheap/DIY or expensive/mechanic?

It didn't stall, but I had some problems after removing the valve cover that eventually boiled down to a loose plug wire and a dead, 7-year-old battery.

·
Supercharged
3,276 Posts
It could be a weak water pump. Is it dripping any fluid? It will be a very tiny amount.

Stuck thermostat could be a problem too but would most likely cause overheating in more conditions than just the one listed above.

FYI the stock gauge is horrible for judging the car's engine temp.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
I had this problem with a prior car. had the thermostat changed, then the sensor etc. Finally the radiator blew the tank off. Soooo! you might wanna have the radiator looked at carefully (flow/pressure test). If its getting clogged up then nothing else will help.
Note: Think they have a plastic tank so you cannot have them 'boiled out'.
Just a suggestion! 8-D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts