Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just reporting some feedback. I'm on my 2nd tank of 93 octane and my gas mileage has gone up about 2 miles. I drive normal and use cruise on the HW at 80[headbang] I drive 68 miles per day for work. 80% HW

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't doubt that your mileage increased but this was not due to premium gas. Most likely to the car breaking in. Higher octane gas has more additives, these additives increase cleaning and most of all octane. This increase in additives decreases the amount of gasoline (part that goes boom) in a gallon of gas. No car gets measurable better mileage using premium. Many get better performance but I've yet to see any facts to even support that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
True. Octane alone does not account for increase in mileage. For example, I was running E85 in my truck, which takes flex fuel. That stuff is like 105 octane, but my mileage decreased pretty severely. Truck runs great on it, though.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I seen the increase as sOon as I started using 93. I'm just reporting what I see guys.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
True. Octane alone does not account for increase in mileage. For example, I was running E85 in my truck, which takes flex fuel. That stuff is like 105 octane, but my mileage decreased pretty severely. Truck runs great on it, though.
Ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline, which is why mpg is reduced by the use of E85. You need about 1.39 gallons of E85 to match the energy in 1 gallon of regular unleaded.

As to whether premium gas increases mpg in the Focus, I don't know, I'm still on my first tank of gas.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Want the best bang for your buck in increased gas mileage? Slow down. I commute 42 miles one-way to work, 39 of which are HW. I used to drive 80+ all the time back and forth. Now that I have my Focus (1500 miles on it so far), I eased back to 65-70. I get 34+ MPG. If I had the ability to be patient and drive slower than the speed limit, which I just don't have the ability to do, I would get closer to the advertised 38 MPG.

Beautiful thing is, it doesn't cost me anything but 3-4 minutes in each direction. ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Want the best bang for your buck in increased gas mileage? Slow down. I commute 42 miles one-way to work, 39 of which are HW. I used to drive 80+ all the time back and forth. Now that I have my Focus (1500 miles on it so far), I eased back to 65-70. I get 34+ MPG. If I had the ability to be patient and drive slower than the speed limit, which I just don't have the ability to do, I would get closer to the advertised 38 MPG.

Beautiful thing is, it doesn't cost me anything but 3-4 minutes in each direction. ;)
This is so true. It would also help if the agencies that control traffic would synchronize the freaking stoplights. We can do it. We have the technology. Starting and stopping your 3000 jalopy and idling at every stoplight really tanks your mileage. Not that the nameless ones' idea of keeping your tires properly inflated doesn't help [rolleyes]

·
Banned
8,043 Posts
If you drive the speed limit the lights generally do sync up. Especially when there is little traffic so you can keep that constant speed. It's hit and miss in stop and go traffic though, but that's just the nature of stop lights.

I would suggest trying to time lights as in watching ahead to the next light to see if it's red and then slowing gradually so you can avoid stopping completely at the light. Another trick I learned is to watch the crosswalk signals. Omaha has started transitioning to the ones that countdown time left to cross. If I see that I have enough time I keep going my constant speed. If I see time winding down I'll speed up a little figuring that the small boost in speed can't equal starting from a dead stop.

(I learned to do this when I was learning manual transmission and wasn't comfortable with first gear starts...lol)

·
Registered
1 Posts
NuBee Here, I bought my 2012 Focus to drive in the winter months here in Michigan. I'm running normal 87 oct. and I'm getting 32 MPG in the city. I haven't tak'in it out on the highway yet. I'm hoping to get 40 MPG... [80?]

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Ghost, I know you're reporting what you see, but that won't be an accurate reading until your car is broken in. Give it to 3,000 miles, like the manual suggests, and then see what your mileage difference is between regular and premium.

On top of that, use your actual readings after filling up, calculate the math yourself to see your mileage across a whole tank, and see the difference, the car's MPG readout isn't usually spot on.

I saw no real increase in mileage with premium.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I agree. I drive nearly the same. I drive 40 miles to work, mostly highway/interstate. I was getting around 30-32mpg driving 80 on the interstate. I slowed back to around 70mph, and I got nearly 36mpg on the last tank. I'm happy with that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts