Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would tell of my experience with this wonderful piece of $5 hardware. You basically get a set of ~1.5in stops (they come in a pack of 4 usually at this size) for $5 for the set at oreilly's/autozone/napa/etc. At the track (or at home if necessary), you jack up the rear crossmember enough to take pressure off the springs so that the stops can be inserted, two on each side, into the springs. I put one on top of the other (each firmly between spring bends) on the rear outboard part of the springs, just rear of the bump stop.

What this does:

This will make it so that on launch, the weight transfer from the front to the rear is not nearly as extreme. The now not compressing (or not compressing as much) springs keep the weight transfer in check, and help keep the weight where it needs to be, on the front wheels.

This is extremely easy, extremely cheap, and extremely effective. It makes it much easier to launch at higher rpms because the front doesn't raise off the suspension (and thus, doesn't take weight off the wheels).

I put some in yesterday to try it out and wow. Huge difference. I almost HAVE to launch at a higher RPM (on a hard take off). I have been driving the car all day with them, and as long as you don't drive over lots of bumps, it shouldn't be a problem to drive to the drag track with them on. It will just seem a litle more firm in the rear.

Definately NOT recommended for crazy curvey driving or autoX. Makes the rear lean funny on turns. Not real crazy, but disconcerning.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry it took so long. I haven't taken actual car pics (it is raining today), but I did make a diagram.

Okay, here is a crap diagram I threw together in paint:

You can stack them as in the diagram(and as I did, seemed to be the maximum amount of spring firmness). Or you can put them on opposite sides if you wish.

You will have to jack the rear crossmember up to make the enough room between the coils (remove tension). Even then, you might have to squeeze them in.

I have been driving around town like this for about a week now to test it out, they are still in, and still works awesome. I'm taking them out today or tomorrow, cause it just isn't quite as good of a curve car with them.

Did I mention that now I can launch on drag radials with 27psi in them at 4500-5000rpm? (my 15.50 that I got before was done with 27psi drag radials with a wheel spinning 2700rpm lauch...compared to my factory eagle gsa 2700rpm launch that netted a 15.56....anyone wanna take bets on whether or not I can hit a 14.9 now that traction is a non issue?..lol)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts