Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that if I don't get this problem addressed soon, it will get worse. The rubber strip above the door on my ZX3 is peeling away and I have no clue as to which adhesive I should buy or any special instructions for gluing it back down.

Any input?

rubber.jpg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mods please move this to the proper mk1 section, I quickly realized I put this in the wrong place, sorry.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Done

Weatherstrip adhesive? I like the black version...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You think that would be strong enough for it? I was thinking to heat it up with a hairdryer first to get it to expand a bit

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
You think that would be strong enough for it? I was thinking to heat it up with a hairdryer first to get it to expand a bit
Yea, it'll be more then strong enough.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Hairdryer sounds good for reshaping it.

I honestly looked straight at the weatherstrip & missed the piece above it at first. Was that held with tape to begin with?

That might be easier to work with to stick that piece down again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, I don't think anything here was held in with tape. Albeit I bought it used and it's not in it's best shape, I don't think that that's the case. I tried gluing it down with rubber cement after cleaning the contact area with 90% rubbing alcohol

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
3M black weatherstrip adhesive is also a contact cement, but it's a lot stronger than most. Small tube is avail. so it isn't a big investment to try.

Thin layer on each side & let it tack up, once it comes into contact you won't be moving it (grin).

Cross fingers, I've had good luck with that for similar jobs.

(looks better than the yellow stuff as well)

·
8 DAY HOMECOMING
13,108 Posts
Y'all beat me to the good ideas. Weatherstripping tape, 3m tape, you could do clear silicone. I don't know about the contact cement if that would do anything to the paint or not. But it is some extremely strong stuff and holds up well.

Let us know what you end up doing. and how it works.

·
R.I.P Kona
12,868 Posts
The 3m weather stripping contact cement should work fine. Those are actually put on with 3m double sided tape from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alright, today I went to O'Rileys and got a tube of the 3M black weatherstrip adhesive, cleaned the surface, blew on it with the hair dryer for the better part of a minute, put down some adhesive, let it tack up, and voila! The rubber thingy is back in place. Thanks for the suggestions guys, the 3M stuff seemed to work well.

Now lets see how it holds up while going 70+

·
Registered
17,168 Posts
No wonder they stay on so well, that's some pretty kickass tape. The weatherstrip adhesive, while good product is nowhere near as good as it used to be since they took much of the VOC out of it. That stuff used to be top shelf product as well but nothing like it was. Either yellow or black. It will work but part will come loose in maybe a year or so. The old stuff never came loose ever.

I wouldn't waste my time using silicone, it won't stick for long at all. BTDT.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts