Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just got a 2.5 ATR exhaust and I HAD an ORP on it and it was like CRAZY loud. Well I have now put the stock CAT back on but now its a lil quiet, which leads me to my question. I am wanting to prolly get the RT CAT but is it worth frickin 320? I mean what kinds of gains does it give? Is it enough to warrant spending that type of money? Thanks in advance for the help. I have tried to search but couldnt find anything. Thanks again.

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^have any idea on the type of gains?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
I dunno exactly since I didn't dyno my car before I put it on, but I can say this, an SVT with similar mods to mine with an ORP ran a 160.2WHP and a 138.4WTQ, but my SVT with the R/T ran a 159.9WHP and 147.3WTQ. But you know our engines can be kinda quirky.

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah def.........in comparison to the FC ORP i had how does it stack up? Prolly less top end? More low end and mid range?

·
Registered
9,476 Posts
you will nt get any real noticable gains with it...it just makes the car sound just like it does stock, but louder....so it's not ricey....nice deap tone, and the little backfires when you downshift (I call 'em poppies...hehe) I dynoed my car after that and an intake, and I had 150.9WHP, 132TQ......

all I know is that I blew through one end of the cat, and I could feel air coming out the other end....so it HAS to improve the flow......I LOVE IT and I would say it's worth getting......I paid the $350.......

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Yeah it has less top end power, but it has better mid range I think. But the TQ curve was really smooth on my dyno, unfortunatly I didn't drive his car so I couldn't get a real "feel" for the difference.

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i had the ORP on there and it screamed up top..........just lost a bit on the low end and midrange

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MISVTfocus said:
Yeah it has less top end power, but it has better mid range I think. But the TQ curve was really smooth on my dyno, unfortunatly I didn't drive his car so I couldn't get a real "feel" for the difference.
could just be me but once i installed the new ATR 2.5" exhaust and had that ORP on there it felt like I had no midrange at all or lowend for that matter............like i was driving a honda lol.....not a whole lot of backpressure i guess

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
anyone else?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Im waiting for you guys to keep on discussing... i've been contemplating about getting a ORP and a Borla Exhaust, or anything that might be better... you seem to be answering alot of questions for me... keep on talking guys...

So in you guy's own views, What would be the best set up for someone thats just going to start modding their exhaust?

·
/fail
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^are you N/A or FI? Because the stock exhaust is actually very good and when i was N/A I only used a ORP and the stock exhaust and then cut off the rear "lunchbox" resonator and put a tip on it and it gave good gains and had the sound I was looking for.................just a thought

·
Registered
183 Posts
i'm completely stock, i have a K & N air filter dropped in, and i took off the little Snorkel looking thingy that sticks out of my air filter box... so, you wanna walk me through this, what would i have to do... cuase i'm alittle lost on some of what your talking about... i was set on getting an ORP. How much do you think you gained also?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
There is always the old "ORP can bring big fines" or "ORP sucks because they smell bad" but I dunno, you do what you want, but personally I think the ORP with the stock exhaust sounds like crap. The ORP with the borla or the HIA exhaust sounds pretty good, it's too loud for my tastes though.

Venom: I'd probably get something like a tune before modding the exhaust.

·
Registered
183 Posts
funny that you say that... i'm getting toms tune hopefully by the middle of july...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
HaveBlue83 said:
I dynoed my car after that and an intake, and I had 150.9WHP, 132TQ
HAVEBLUE MODS: Volant Intake (Modified Box), R/T HF cat

MISVTfocus said:
my SVT with the R/T ran a 159.9WHP and 147.3WTQ.

MIS MODS: K&N aircharger intake, Hypnotic SCT flash, FC throttle body, r/t high flow cat, msd wires and coil

What's the deal here? 9WHP is a big difference in power and you two seem to have relatively similar mods? The FC TB is said to give only throttle response and everyone says the coil pack upgrades are a gimick???

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Well, look at this 2004SVTautoXer ran a 155WHP and a 144~WTQ and he has more mods than me! And we have the same year! The 04's are known for being the most powerful out of all the years, the reason for the 9hp difference, and more importantly the nearly 15WTQ is, I have a tune.

Wayne (HIA) swapped an 04 motor into his 02 when his old one shot out, and he made almost 10WHP more on the stock to stock comparison. These engines are real quirky from the factory. I've seen dynos all over the place. Low low, and really high on stock motors.

Adding one more point to that here... My SVT didn't dyno the highest for WHP either, there was an SVT with ORP, UDP, and SD/coil/wires, and an exhaust that ran a 160.6 and he's not even tuned.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I am going to load my tune tonight.

And this quirky factory indifference is total BS. What is so difficult about making a rigid quality standard that makes all cars the same???? Then again some of this must be dyno indifferences but even still...

What tranny fluid are you running?

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Same stuff from the factory, it's getting close to time for me to change it.

The reason it's so different is because even with minor adjustments in the timing can make a huge difference. But you have to also look at it like this.

I went to Alternative Auto which is by far one of the most respected shops for Fords in the country. I believe his dyno is pretty much dead on because I was expecting almost exactly what I got, from seeing previous dyno graphs and assuming the HP figures for my mods were roughly what I expected them to be as well. But on top of that, you also need to factor in that it was the PERFECT day for a dyno, 68-70 that morning, low humidity. I also run 94 octane all the time in mine too...

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Hmm well I've heard that the tune works wonders. I am going to run 93 octane in the car (as usual) with the tune and I am going to get an SRI soon. I plan on getting the RT cat at some point too and if the clicking annoys me some more then some cams from zxtuner will be in too! Zxtuner estimates 10HP from the cams and I think that sounds reasonable. That should net to atleast 165WHP with RT Cat, Cams, SRI, and tune right?

If the 04s are notoriously stronger wouldn't that be because of the tuning? If I am not mistaken that is pretty much the only difference.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts