Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was a happy owner of a new 2016 Focus RS this past April. Shortly after purchasing the car I took it to a detailer for a Ceramic Pro application. The detailer notified me before the application of defects in the paint. Essentially there are white spots under the clear coat on every metal panel. I notified Ford and they agreed to repaint. I dropped the car off at body shop and Ford gave me a free rental car. Long story short, body shop manager called the following day and said he doesn't feel comfortable repainting the entire car. I was then asked to pick up the car and refused service. My CS rep with Ford said every Ford dealership is independent and has the right to refuse service. It's been two months and Ford Corporate is dragging their feet. They denied a buyback and now telling me to go find another Ford dealer that's willing to repaint my RS. I tried calling another Ford dealer about 40 min away last week. I left a VM, explaining the situation and they are not returning my calls. Attached are two pictures of what the paint looks like when it's completely clean and dry. Again, this is on every metal panel. The plastic front and rear bumper look ok. As an owner of a Focus ZX3, SVT, ST, and now an RS, it's frustrating to have Ford treat me like this.

Attachments

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
That vehicle shouldn't have left the factory like that to begin with... If they are turning you down on a buy back, they should have it repaired for sure. I'd really keep pressuring Ford. Bummer to hear this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That looks like basecoat/clearcoat that didnt cure correctly and has now trapped moisture which causes the white look.. does the paint feel soft? Ive actually had this happen on a couple fiberglass panels that i sprayed..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That looks like basecoat/clearcoat that didnt cure correctly and has now trapped moisture which causes the white look.. does the paint feel soft? Ive actually had this happen on a couple fiberglass panels that i sprayed..

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I don't believe so. It feels like standard paint to me. Do you mean in the areas where the spots are, or overall?

·
Registered
23 Posts
The areas where the spots are.. If it doesnt feel soft, I would consult a good reputable detailer and see if they can correct it.. It could also be some sort of contaminants stuck in the top layer of paint and just need a cut and buff..

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
The areas where the spots are.. If it doesnt feel soft, I would consult a good reputable detailer and see if they can correct it.. It could also be some sort of contaminants stuck in the top layer of paint and just need a cut and buff..

If you want to compound/polish the clear coat down. I'd want to know the thickness to begin with, but why do all that. Its a new vehicle, I'd want Ford to repair it properly. ID care if its a $15k Fiesta or a $100k F-450 SD.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you want to compound/polish the clear coat down. I'd want to know the thickness to begin with, but why do all that. Its a new vehicle, I'd want Ford to repair it properly. ID care if its a $15k Fiesta or a $100k F-450 SD.

Sounds like they already dont want to deal with it. Fixing it himself might be the only option if no one wants to touch it..

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Sounds like they already dont want to deal with it. Fixing it himself might be the only option if no one wants to touch it..

Thats really messed up thou.....I really hope he gets it squared away.

·
Registered
42 Posts
So long as that came like that from the factory and the vehicle is still under basic warranty (in Canada) Ford will cover it for sure. as well put up the biggest stink you can and don't back down. Find out the local Ford reps name and get into contact with them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Yeah, it doesn't feel any softer between the areas with and without the spots.

As far as repair I am not giving up on this. What's happened over the last month or so is the Ford CS rep calls me once a week. He basically asks what I've done to get it repaired. At this point, I'm telling him, I've exhausted my options and they(Ford) needs to fix it. From a customer standpoint it's pretty backwards to make me go around and find a Ford dealer that will work with me. He then tells me, "I'll call you in one week", and we repeat the same cycle. I missed my one phone call last week. No voicemail was left and when I called back 15 min later, I got an out of office message for the 19th-22nd(it was 9/7 when I called). I left a message, but no call back. The following day, I got an email stating there would be a delay due to the weather conditions in the south.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Thats what you call customer service, That'd make me feel real good, wow. I'd ask the Ford rep, What he's going to do to get it repaired/fixed. Not play phone tag & have you phone around & to who. I'd hit up a few body shops around your area & have them look at it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Try and get in touch with corporate headquarters.
I did in regards to creating a case and the rep I have been speaking with weekly is the regional customer service corporate rep. I called the main corporate customer service line a couple weeks ago to complain and they told me there is nothing else they can do since I already have a case #. I just have to keep working with my appointed customer service representative.

·
Registered
201 Posts
That looks like solvent pop in the basecoat. Buffing will not fix that. The car needs to be brought back down to primer and re-painted.

If your current rep is not helping, you can request another one. Instigate and escalate.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Confused as to why you would take delivery like that. Anyway, looks like acid rain spots/hard water spots to me. They should be able to be corrected with detailing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That looks like solvent pop in the basecoat. Buffing will not fix that. The car needs to be brought back down to primer and re-painted.

If your current rep is not helping, you can request another one. Instigate and escalate.
Thanks, I will try requesting another rep.

Confused as to why you would take delivery like that. Anyway, looks like acid rain spots/hard water spots to me. They should be able to be corrected with detailing.

Sent from my Pixel XL using FF Mobile
Because it's actually hard to see. The car needs to be completely clean and it shows best in direct sunlight. I honestly did not see it until the Ceramic Pro detailer pointed it out to me. Believe me, I wish I noticed it before I made the purchase. The dealer also left a spring spacer compressing one half of the spring. I did not discover this until 1,000 miles in. Thankfully the dealer paid for a wheel alignment after it was removed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quick update: Spoke with the Ford Dealer I originally bought the car from and they are refusing service because I did not give them perfect scores 5/5. (Not joking) I talked with a different CS rep at Ford and they submitted another buyback request. The rep said they will review the repair and service history and make a decision. I explained there is no service history because mechanical it's functioning. The issue relies with the paint on the entire car. At first she stated she cannot add notes to the buyback then later said she can mention it's due to paint.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Quick update: Spoke with the Ford Dealer I originally bought the car from and they are refusing service because I did not give them perfect scores 5/5. (Not joking) I talked with a different CS rep at Ford and they submitted another buyback request. The rep said they will review the repair and service history and make a decision. I explained there is no service history because mechanical it's functioning. The issue relies with the paint on the entire car. At first she stated she cannot add notes to the buyback then later said she can mention it's due to paint.
Great to hear.....Keep on top of it.[lockdance]

1 - 20 of 42 Posts