Focus Fanatics Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Bought the RS intake from my local Ford Dealership for $67. It took two days to ship from another dealership 30 miles away. Installation was a piece of cake and I'm totally happy with how it looks and sounds.

Taking the lid off the stock air box is too loud and boomy in the cabin, but having this airbox installed is a nice balance between that and stock. It's only loud when applying medium to full throttle from 3000-4500 RPM or so but can be completely quiet, just like stock, when cruising around town or on the highway. It's the best of both worlds. I really like how it sounds.

As for performance, I doubt it makes a difference. It's more for the sound and appearance. Worth the money in my opinion.
Are you using a stock or aftermarket air filter?

I definitely noticed a major performance increase with the complete RS airbox swap & Mountune open end filter, but I also did the snorkel delete and removed the airbox resonator. I have to say it pulls very strong from 80-120 on a closed course. I've been hoping to find a ST to run beside for comparison, everyone I've seen has been driven slower than my grandmother drives..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you using a stock or aftermarket air filter?

I definitely noticed a major performance increase with the complete RS airbox swap & Mountune open end filter, but I also did the snorkel delete and removed the airbox resonator. I have to say it pulls very strong from 80-120 on a closed course. I've been hoping to find a ST to run beside for comparison, everyone I've seen has been driven slower than my grandmother drives..
I had already done the resonator and snorkel delete. And, I was (and still am) in the process of tuning my car with Tom, so the car already felt like a completely different animal. The sound is so nice and it pulls super strong in third and fourth gear. It just feels like it has limitless power all the way up to 6800 RPM. I feel like the box made a difference but it's hard to tell versus the stock airbox because of all the other modifications and tuning that were going on at the time.

I will say, though. The intake tubes don't really seal that nicely against the RS airbox for whatever reason. When I first installed it, I got a weird idle issue and I had to seal up the little intake tubes where they meet the airbox with electrical tape. That cleared up the issue entirely.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I had already done the resonator and snorkel delete. And, I was (and still am) in the process of tuning my car with Tom, so the car already felt like a completely different animal. The sound is so nice and it pulls super strong in third and fourth gear. It just feels like it has limitless power all the way up to 6800 RPM. I feel like the box made a difference but it's hard to tell versus the stock airbox because of all the other modifications and tuning that were going on at the time.

I will say, though. The intake tubes don't really seal that nicely against the RS airbox for whatever reason. When I first installed it, I got a weird idle issue and I had to seal up the little intake tubes where they meet the airbox with electrical tape. That cleared up the issue entirely.
Hmmm that's strange, I didnt experience the sealing issue like you..actually they snapped right in nice & tight.. by chance did you try installing them after you mounted the box in the engine compartment where it's hard to see or did you attach them while the RS box was still out? I know I mounted everything to the air box 1st (MAF, filter, 2 inlet tubes), then put it back in the car and slid the hose on the MAF housing and connected the inlets to the cross member.

I agree it feels like a night & day difference from stock, I actually dropped ~1 second off my 0-60 times but they were nothing official and I didnt have the ERMM installed yet so I expect a little better pull off the line next time. When I get a chance I will try and get some additional various timed pulls (60-100, 80-100, 0-100, etc.) and a 1/8 & 1/4 mile time. Eventual dyno numbers will follow too.

I had a chance to briefly run against a co-workers 2.0L Turbo Jetta from a 20mph roll on and I started pulling on him but we both had to cut off quickly at ~70 due to obstacles. I feel I could've overtaken him based on the way I was pulling but really couldn't tell since he didnt have a chance to really spool up that turbo through all the gears and we had to cut the run short. We will be attempting another run soon.

I have a long private "drag" strip at work (about 1/2 mile) and there are several co-workers that are willing to put it to the test (Civic SI - 205hp, Dart - 184hp, Mustang ??)

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
A full second off your 60mph time? What was your previous 0-60 time?

I'd like to see a real track recorded 1/4 mile time. Remember a stock 2012 5 speed recorded a 15.8 in stock trim with spare and everything and a 7.4 second 0-60 for some reference numbers.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Has anyone dyno'd the RS air box with a highflow air filter yet? I'm just curious if it offers similar gains as the $300.00 Steeda intake. If so, this could be the best money per horsepower mod to date! :D For around $100.00 you'd be gaining around 10whp and 10fpt. Not too shabby!

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
You're getting close with just a filter and the snorkel removed and can't imagine spending a couple hundred more for a couple hp that won't make a difference in the real world or even likely the race track.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi I made this modification in my Ford Focus, but when accelerating to the top, a strange smell appears in the cabin, as if it were something to burn

Has someone happened to you?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I didn't like having the RS logo on my SE (Shitty Edition) so I covered it up with an appropriate Flex Fuel badge I found at work.

Hi I made this modification in my Ford Focus, but when accelerating to the top, a strange smell appears in the cabin, as if it were something to burn

Have not had that happen to me. That's not something that should be affected by the air box. You probably have another issue you need to look into.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I didn't like having the RS logo on my SE (Shitty Edition) so I covered it up with an appropriate Flex Fuel badge I found at work.

Have not had that happen to me. That's not something that should be affected by the air box. You probably have another issue you need to look into.
Yes, indeed I thought, but when I removed it and installed the original air box, the smell disappeared ... maybe it is the mixture A/C or the excess air in WOT? ... it only happens when you step on it full Throttle [:(]

·
So mote be it
8,800 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yeah there was a guy who custom-made inserts for them. I didn't feel like paying an extra $50 just to cut up my box and have it say "SE" on it lol. I believe he 3D printed them and then you cut out your honeycomb and glue this one in its place.

·
Registered
614 Posts
For $65 I'll just stick with the RS box n stock filter that comes with it thank you very much...

·
Registered
614 Posts

Damn squirrels!

101 - 120 of 126 Posts