·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
So mote be it
8,961 Posts
Its an aggressive look, real ones are far better than stick on style ones.

Functional to me also means there is excess heat in the bay that needs the air to keep temps down. Personal opinion though, i still think they look good when done properly.

Would you keep them black or paint match?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Its an aggressive look, real ones are far better than stick on style ones.

Functional to me also means there is excess heat in the bay that needs the air to keep temps down. Personal opinion though, i still think they look good when done properly.

Would you keep them black or paint match?
^this. i think black would be nice on the sgm

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking of leaving them black

·
Registered
103 Posts
I really like them, and really want to do them on my car at some point. It's down on the list at the moment, but eventually...

·
Registered
952 Posts
I'm also in the boat of really liking them, and I agree that they would likely assist in evacuating hot air out with the right set up. This is something that further down the road, as in after any and all performance mods I would do, I would install these, but not sooner.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured it's cheap and I can do metal work so why not

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does ananyone have any experience having vents. My only concern would be water getting in.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Does ananyone have any experience having vents. My only concern would be water getting in.
Consensus is that water does get in. There is at least one other thread discussing this in greater detail than we have here. There is also a thread on I think focusst.org where a guy put these on his ST and also made a silicon molded plug that in can insert for rainy days. He bought two vents, one with slits already open and another set that were just for show (without actual slits) and made a mould from the closed ones. It looked quite good and functional, and WHEN I do this I will be doing the exact same thing.

That said most people figure the water won't matter, sealed engine and all, but those with open top intakes may have some concern as the vent sits on top of the airbox on the drive side. But I'm sure we can DIY a solution for that as well.

·
So mote be it
8,961 Posts
yeah no doubt you will constantly have water in your engine compartment. It should not hurt anything but there is always a chance it could cause an issue with something.

The silicon plug idea is pretty neat, never heard of anyone doing that before. It would just be a hassle to worry about putting them in and removing them when you want the engine to stay dry or vent

·
Registered
609 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ya I was thinking the same thing. Because I have the fswerks cai. But I really like the agressive look of the vents. I live in so cal so there is not too much rain lol.
not sure about those rims though.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for posting that thread. Very helpful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts