Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
What’s TSB mean? Btw, I assumed it was a recall, but I really have no idea?

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
technical service bulletin....Well if its a recall, I'd figuring out if your local Ford dealers have or can get the h/g, parts.....I'd think it'd just be your time if your looking at buying one that hasn't been done yet....I'd think they'd change the head bolts also? How do they figure if it needs the head replaced? Do they check the block surface to make sure its flat? I like those motors, just that issue I don't like, kinda similar to the 35 motor w/p....I like those ecoboost 35's, just not where Ford placed the w/p..... Really the only current Ford motor thats bullet proof is the 5.0 & the 6.7 'stroke......

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
About the head gaskets, do all of the 2016 & 2017 models have to be replaced at some point? When I look at CARFAX reports on used RS’s for sale, some show the head gasket replacement was completed, but many don’t show it’s been done nor does it show any active recall for the head gaskets. I’m just a little confused as to if it eventually needs to be done? Would any of you buy a used 2016-2017 RS that hasn’t had the head gaskets replaced yet?

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
I asked the sales manager at the dealer I presently work for about selling vehicles with open recalls. He said that if the vehicle is being sold by a dealership, any open recall has to be completed before the vehicle can be "delivered" to the customer. I asked if vehicle brand or location mattered and he said no. He said the federal gov't requires that dealers check for open recalls and have them completed regardless of brand, before the vehicle can be "delivered" to the customer. (I had to ask, as I was in the process of buying a vehicle of a brand different from what my employer sells and he told me that I couldn't have the key until he verified that there were no open recalls.)

In the case of the RS head gasket recall, there was a "Demo/Sales Hold" issued with the recall. So, by law, the recall has to be completed before the vehicle can be sold if the vehicle is owned by the selling dealer. If a dealer is found to be selling the vehicle with an open recall, it can be fined upwards of $25,000 per vehicle sold. Private sellers are exempted though. A private seller is not responsible for having recalls done at any point.

Having an open recall wouldn't prevent me from buying a vehicle, so long as the recall was still valid. The only exception would be the older 05S28 recall on the F-150 and Expedition where vehicles were catching on fire. That particular recall being open would prevent me from buying.

technical service bulletin....Well if its a recall, I'd figuring out if your local Ford dealers have or can get the h/g, parts.....I'd think it'd just be your time if your looking at buying one that hasn't been done yet....I'd think they'd change the head bolts also? How do they figure if it needs the head replaced? Do they check the block surface to make sure its flat? I like those motors, just that issue I don't like, kinda similar to the 35 motor w/p....I like those ecoboost 35's, just not where Ford placed the w/p..... Really the only current Ford motor thats bullet proof is the 5.0 & the 6.7 'stroke......
The 5.0ltr, in the F-150, has issues with the upper radiator hoses leaking. The 3.7 is actually better...lol

There was a formal recall issued for the head gaskets on the RS. Before I left the Ford dealer, they were doing simple cooling system pressure tests. If the cooling system held pressure, the vehicle was returned to the owner. If the cooling system lost pressure, parts were ordered and repairs were made. Same procedure we initially did on the 1.6L Escapes that resulted in a lot of engine replacements from blown headgaskets....lol

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
I asked the sales manager at the dealer I presently work for about selling vehicles with open recalls. He said that if the vehicle is being sold by a dealership, any open recall has to be completed before the vehicle can be "delivered" to the customer. I asked if vehicle brand or location mattered and he said no. He said the federal gov't requires that dealers check for open recalls and have them completed regardless of brand, before the vehicle can be "delivered" to the customer. (I had to ask, as I was in the process of buying a vehicle of a brand different from what my employer sells and he told me that I couldn't have the key until he verified that there were no open recalls.)
>>> What about all those a/b recalls? I see many dealers are selling vehicles w/ that open recall.....
In the case of the RS head gasket recall, there was a "Demo/Sales Hold" issued with the recall. So, by law, the recall has to be completed before the vehicle can be sold if the vehicle is owned by the selling dealer. If a dealer is found to be selling the vehicle with an open recall, it can be fined upwards of $25,000 per vehicle sold. Private sellers are exempted though. A private seller is not responsible for having recalls done at any point.

Having an open recall wouldn't prevent me from buying a vehicle, so long as the recall was still valid. The only exception would be the older 05S28 recall on the F-150 and Expedition where vehicles were catching on fire. That particular recall being open would prevent me from buying.

The 5.0ltr, in the F-150, has issues with the upper radiator hoses leaking. The 3.7 is actually better...lol
>>>Yea the 37 is a great motor, for some reason Ford dropped that motor, worked great in the base Mustangs. Upper radiator hose issues have nothing to do w/ the motor itself.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
There are still air again recalls that don't have parts availability. They affect the Fusion and Mustang. Those are the only ones I'm aware of. It would be a bit unrealistic for a dealer to be blocked from selling a vehicle 3 years into a recall where no parts are available and there is no projected availability date. Of course, if nobody reports dealers for selling vehicles with recalls, they can get away with it quite easily.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Who you going to report the dealer to? & what can they do about? Say like a passenger a/b ?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts