Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts
Any news on whether Ford will do a recall on the head gaskets for early RSs?
Sounds like Ford will be sending a letter to all RS owners
Here's Ford's Official Warranty Fix for Focus RS Head Gasket Failure

Ford will replace the head gasket and perform a pressure test on all affected cars. If the pressure tests fails, Ford will also replace the cylinder head. These repairs will be completed free of charge and the program will be in effect until January 31st, 2019. The program covers all Focus RS vehicles built between August 3, 2015 and July 6, 2017. There is no mileage limit on eligibility and Ford will even repair branded and salvage titled vehicles. Ford will also reimburse owners for up to four days of rental car coverage while the repairs are completed. However, the automaker will not refund owners for previously completed repairs.
Hopefully this puts an end to the issues

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Yea, I don't care for the open coolant passages.....Seems like a issue w/ the bore bridge vs the 23 in the Mustang. Random issue, not just one batch of cars. Lots & lots of reading there, thanx to Alex at Stratified.

·
Registered
16,048 Posts
Why you always check a new head gasket for the hole pattern, only ONE hole can kill you there...............

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
Two different gaskets one for the RS and possibly the ranger's higher output version of the 2.3 and one for the MKC/Explorer/Mustang et al base engine variant, not fwd vs rwd based
I was just looking at the two pic's which happened to be the RS & Mustang 23's....Always going to have cooling issues w/ east to west motors vs north/south.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Ford's time estimate for repair completion is a bit off. We have an RS at the shop that has been sitting for 2 weeks already just waiting on parts....

·
Focus Addict
14,132 Posts
Ford's time estimate for repair completion is a bit off. We have an RS at the shop that has been sitting for 2 weeks already just waiting on parts....
You do realize the repair estimates are based on the actual labor time involved, not the wait for parts right?

If everyone bum rushed the dealerships the minute the recall was announced to schedule and expected not to drive the cars until they were fixed of course it would take longer to get the parts, after all even if the gaskets were in stock if it failed the pressure test by enough you'd have to wait for a cylinder head to be made as they only had a limited seed stock of the cylinder heads at that time.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
You do realize the repair estimates are based on the actual labor time involved, not the wait for parts right?

If everyone bum rushed the dealerships the minute the recall was announced to schedule and expected not to drive the cars until they were fixed of course it would take longer to get the parts, after all even if the gaskets were in stock if it failed the pressure test by enough you'd have to wait for a cylinder head to be made as they only had a limited seed stock of the cylinder heads at that time.
Let me see if I can explain this where you'll understand...

When I say we've had an RS sitting at the shop for 2 weeks waiting on parts, I mean at the Ford Dealership that I work at.

Ford is only covering rentals for up to 4 days. We've had a customer in a rental for 14 days and counting, because his RS needs a cylinder head. There have been reports from other dealers that have received cylinder head kits that parts have been missing from the kits, resulting in even longer delays for repairs.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well why did he drop off the car if the part was not in stock/on backorder. Order the part in and let the customer know when it arrives so he can come in and get it fixed.

Unless he brought it in because his is actually damaged. Then that sucks.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
We have 1 sitting with coolant in a cylinder and 1 is a stock unit that can't be sold until "repairs" are done.

·
Registered
830 Posts
About the head gaskets, do all of the 2016 & 2017 models have to be replaced at some point? When I look at CARFAX reports on used RS’s for sale, some show the head gasket replacement was completed, but many don’t show it’s been done nor does it show any active recall for the head gaskets. I’m just a little confused as to if it eventually needs to be done? Would any of you buy a used 2016-2017 RS that hasn’t had the head gaskets replaced yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
w/ my magic bag
29,453 Posts
About the head gaskets, do all of the 2016 & 2017 models have to be replaced at some point? When I look at CARFAX reports on used RS’s for sale, some show the head gasket replacement was completed, but many don’t show it’s been done nor does it show any active recall for the head gaskets. I’m just a little confused as to if it eventually needs to be done? Would any of you buy a used 2016-2017 RS that hasn’t had the head gaskets replaced yet? I wouldn't....I'm not sure if they're getting replaced on as needed basis or not.....I don't really care for the open block design.

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts
About the head gaskets, do all of the 2016 & 2017 models have to be replaced at some point? When I look at CARFAX reports on used RS’s for sale, some show the head gasket replacement was completed, but many don’t show it’s been done nor does it show any active recall for the head gaskets. I’m just a little confused as to if it eventually needs to be done? Would any of you buy a used 2016-2017 RS that hasn’t had the head gaskets replaced yet?

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Just look up the VIN here:
https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html

Here is an example of the head gasket not being replaced: WF0DP3TH3G4115837

If it doesnt need it done, it will show as no outstanding recalls/services. It's always a good idea to check for recalls when shopping for cars. I would still buy one if it had an outstanding recall, as long as it wasnt showing any symptons/smoke for the tailpipe. Ford is still obligated to do the recall work. I had three recalls done on my 2013 after i bought because they werent done yet. No issues for me.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts