Focus Fanatics Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I sure wish I could rent an RS for a day to figure out if I like it or not, before spending 30k+, but I don’t see anywhere in SoCal that rents them? I just don’t feel like a 10min test drive with a salesperson bugging me is enough, especially after watching all the mixed reviews on YouTube about the suspension & seats.

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
You might be able to talk your way into taking one for a few days if you find the right dealership. At least on a used one. Find a dealer with a used one and a new one and tell them what you're looking to do.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
I sure wish I could rent an RS for a day to figure out if I like it or not, before spending 30k+, but I don’t see anywhere in SoCal that rents them? I just don’t feel like a 10min test drive with a salesperson bugging me is enough, especially after watching all the mixed reviews on YouTube about the suspension & seats.

10 minute drive is what I've done on a lot of cars I've bought thru out the yrs... You know the grunt it has, suspension can be swapped out, boils down to the seats. You get use to it for the most part....Like sitting in a higher perch then other cars & you can't stretch your left foot straight as its always bent, I've gotten use to it thou....

·
Registered
5 Posts

Same here...anyone want to trade my gt350 for their RS for a weekend? I'm in MD if you are serious (PM me).

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
10 minute drive is what I've done on a lot of cars I've bought thru out the yrs... You know the grunt it has, suspension can be swapped out, boils down to the seats. You get use to it for the most part....Like sitting in a higher perch then other cars & you can't stretch your left foot straight as its always bent, I've gotten use to it thou....

I bet I’ve watched 20 or so reviews on YouTube about daily driving an RS & the first thing that’s always mentioned are the seats, so they’re definitely a concern. But then again, Ford designed the RS as a track car, not a daily, so of course those high bolsters & high seating position are great for the track, but not so much for a 5hr road trip from LA to Vegas. With that said, it still would be nice to have that AWD system & not be spinning the tires like on a FWD ST.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
I bet I’ve watched 20 or so reviews on YouTube about daily driving an RS & the first thing that’s always mentioned are the seats, so they’re definitely a concern. But then again, Ford designed the RS as a track car, not a daily, so of course those high bolsters & high seating position are great for the track, but not so much for a 5hr road trip from LA to Vegas. With that said, it still would be nice to have that AWD system & not be spinning the tires like on a FWD ST.

Have a look how Honda got the fwd system nailed down via the new type R.....

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Have a look how Honda got the fwd system nailed down via the new type R.....

Yea but I’m definitely a Ford guy & love the styling on the RS & ST. The Civic Type R & SI are cool for many, but I really don’t like how they look, however their engineering is fantastic

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts

Try Turo:
https://turo.com/rentals/cars/ca/san-diego/ford-focus-rs/351096?searchId=k3vpMRqK

Sign up and use my referral and get $25 off your first rental [;)] https://turo.com/c/stephenh696

I've only used it a couple of times but its pretty easy. The RS has a mileage limit per day but that is still better than you'll get with a dealer test drive. Get it for a weekend and have some fun.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I’m still looking for one but not an easy car to find. CarMax currently has a ‘17 w/ only 7k miles but they want 37k & will not budge. Man these little cars are expensive! You’re looking at 35k+ in SoCal if you want one of these things!

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
I’m still looking for one but not an easy car to find. CarMax currently has a ‘17 w/ only 7k miles but they want 37k & will not budge. Man these little cars are expensive! You’re looking at 35k+ in SoCal if you want one of these things!

W/ that said....What would they give for your car?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
W/ that said....What would they give for your car?

Oh well not much at all. CarMax has a few 2013-2014 Titanium Hatchbacks w/ around 50-70k miles for around $11-12k. I’ve never gotten an appraisal but I’d estimate around 8-9k. What sucks is they will get 37k for that RS & won’t lower the price. Out-of-state the same car is 31-32k. I just really like the look of the Focus Hatchbacks.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Funny thing is I was just side by side at a signal last week with a black RS. The guy was super nice but we had to talk fast. I quickly asked him how it drives & his exact words were ‘very firm’ in normal mode & ‘very harsh’ in sport mode. Other than that, he quickly said the MPGs were good & it behaved nicely as a daily, but then out light turned green & we had to go.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,452 Posts
Don't forget that Carmax also ships vehicles to other states or even locally.....So if you find one in another state, they'll ship it for you. btw I had a job offer of doing that awhile ago.

·
So mote be it
8,903 Posts

No body makes more money on selling used cars than CarMax. They make more per car than anyone else in the industry. So if you are trying to save money, CarMax is not the place to find the best deals. They are great for the variety of cars they can get, no hassle with sales pressure, test driving and they will ship but it'll all costs you in the end.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-why-carmax-makes-more-money-on-used-cars-than-any-1826415410

Expand your search radius and be open to travel to get it. Should be able to find one a low $30K with 30k miles

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I know it's an older thread but this caught my attention, because it's very true.
the RS isnt a very good race car. so by default it must be a daily driver
The RS is an over-engineered novelty. Rather than make a true performance hatchback, Ford opted to use a heavy AWD system with electronically controlled brake-actuated torque vectoring and an unreliable high-output engine to give drivers a sense of superior performance. It's a good fun car but it's not very comfortable, costs a fortune to maintain, and doesn't offer anything in the way of convenience you can't get on a standard Focus for a LOT less money.

If you want a hot compact to drive every day you're better off with a Focus ST, Veloster Turbo, Elantra Sport, Elantra GT N-Line, Kia Forte5 SX, Civic Si, Golf GTI, or WRX.

For the price of an RS, you can get much better cars, too. Just a thought...

·
Registered
16 Posts
My RS is a really good daily driver. I enjoy it, but the roads in Florida are nice and smooth so that probably makes a difference. It could be too rough on bad roads. MPG is good enough always 25 or better.

·
Registered
907 Posts
If you want a hot compact to drive every day you're better off with a Focus ST, Veloster Turbo, Elantra Sport, Elantra GT N-Line, Kia Forte5 SX, Civic Si, Golf GTI, or WRX.

For the price of an RS, you can get much better cars, too. Just a thought...
Absolutely. For a daily, I'd take the Civic Si for $15K less (vs the RS) in this category.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Absolutely. For a daily, I'd take the Civic Si for $15K less (vs the RS) in this category.

Sometimes it just boils down to wanting that ‘RS’ badge on the back & the fact that when an RS pulls up to a signal it commands the attention of everyone. A Civic SI or Focus ST do not do that & are fairly common vehicles for younger people. Plus it’s nice to have the larger 2.3L turbo & AWD from a start/stop when you want to get around an annoying driver.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
You pull up in an RS & people just move over. Lol poor guy in a Civic SI just looks as he knows what’s under the hood of an RS so he doesn’t even bother. Even STI guys yield to the RS. That’s what the RS is all about.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts