Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i bought my SVT a few weeks ago and this is the first stick shift ive had(rode motorcycles though). when moving, if i push the clutch in the RPMs dont go down until i let out in the next gear. also if im moving and throw it in neutral the rpms dont go down until im almost stopped. if i rev it up while moving the rpms go up and stay up until it is in gear and clutch is out.
Any ideas of what it could be causing this.
PS it doesnt really do that when its cold, but a few streets down it does it everytime.

·
Registered
209 Posts
a little more details about how long it last seconds, minutes, hours that would help. How high of rpm's are we talking 1000, 2000, 5000. It is normal for the rpm's to hang some. But if you think it is excessive i would try pulling the Idle air control valve off and cleaning it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im talking like as long as you maintain movement over 5mph or let the clutch out in the next gear. i normally shift at 3000-3500rpm and it stays there until i let the clutch out.
ill give that a try though.

·
SVT Fanatic
2,615 Posts
My first thought is that it's just the hanging revs you get with the stock ECU tune.

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
it sounds like a vacuum leak possibly, does it do it on start up as well?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When I start it cold, it idles at about 1500-1700 and slowly goes down buy I believe that's normal with these motors. It only does it after a minute or so of driving.

·
Registered
209 Posts
When I start it cold, it idles at about 1500-1700 and slowly goes down buy I believe that's normal with these motors. It only does it after a minute or so of driving.
These cars seem to have a higher idle alot of times. Mine dose the same and usualy levels out around 800-1000.

·
Registered
106 Posts
These cars seem to have a higher idle alot of times. Mine dose the same and usualy levels out around 800-1000.
Mine used to float with the stock tune. Tom's tune seems to have a closed-loop warmup idle of around 2000RPM and an openloop around 1000RPM. The RPM doesn't hang around 1100-1400 when rolling to a stop like it did on the stock tune, most noticable in traffic. I don't know if he changes something in the idle circuit other than the idle RPM, but my guess is he does considering how differently it behaves.

But basically what I'm saying is its not unusual behavior. I remember exactly what you are describing before I uploaded the tune years ago.

·
Registered
64 Posts
wow okay, at start up you will idle around 2k to warm the engine up, thats supposed to happen. and since its sticking at exactly where you let off the throttle, id say your throttle body is sticking. it isnt the same as a normal focus, but you shouldnt need to replace it. lube up the linkage and youll be good to go.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow okay, at start up you will idle around 2k to warm the engine up, thats supposed to happen. and since its sticking at exactly where you let off the throttle, id say your throttle body is sticking. it isnt the same as a normal focus, but you shouldnt need to replace it. lube up the linkage and youll be good to go.
I always let my car warm up til the temp gauge hits a certain point, but when i just start driving its fine, after a short driving distance the rpms start to stay up. They slowly go down, but very slowly.
Im not really mechanically incline about motors in terms of what effects what.
Still throttle body?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
please help im a newbie and i am trying to install a sub but dont know what wire to connect the remote cable to ????
???possibly try starting a thread about it???
i dont know jack about audio equipment.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
at the home page scroll down to where it says technical forms and select one of the categories(im guessing youd pick zetec performance) then at the page on the left hand side a yellow button says new thread. Im new to the site as well, welcome.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Have you tried making sure all the parts of the air intake are in place? Specially at the throttle body, mine does it when I don't put the coupling good around the TB

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well service engine light finally came on, turns out the intake manifold runner is stuck open. Any ideas how expensive this is and where i can buy parts for it? i checked autozone and they dont have anything.

·
Registered
196 Posts
could someone tell me where the idle air control valve is? I would like to check/clean it because sometimes I have a hanging idle everytime i push the clutch in when the engine is still warming up. After it warms up the idle drops like it should everytime you push the clutch in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts