Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure exactly where to put this, so I assumed this would be at least a close place. My apologies.

I have a 2014 Ford Focus Sedan, 204 miles. Today, 2 times, and once last week; while driving my RPMS just start really quickly spiking and then the car jerks really hard. It's done it two times coming out of cruise control and once just regular driving. Could someone tell me what is up? Is there an issue or is this something I shouldn't be too worried about? I'm at a loss here. This is my first brand new vehicle and my second vehicle (my first was a 1997 Dodge Ram that I traded for this car) total. Is there something I could perhaps doing incorrectly? This car doesn't have the button to change gears or anything, although it does have this button for hills.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Welcome to FF.

Moved this to the MkIII section for you, more "looks" from current owners there.

Sounds like a shifting situation with the trans., with it at least starting to shift (disengage clutch) then re-engaging. I assume from the description that the gear didn't change when this happened.

DCT trans. works with two clutches & an electronically shifted manual transmission, it can become confused with varying throttle and shifts (or lack of one completed) become rough.

Something to 'keep an eye on" for sure, and would require a trip to the Dealer if this happens regularly. Occasional odd behavior when you can pinpoint a cause is one thing (like getting on, off & on the throttle) but it shouldn't be a regular occurrence in normal driving.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to FF.

Moved this to the MkIII section for you, more "looks" from current owners there.

Sounds like a shifting situation with the trans., with it at least starting to shift (disengage clutch) then re-engaging. I assume from the description that the gear didn't change when this happened.

DCT trans. works with two clutches & an electronically shifted manual transmission, it can become confused with varying throttle and shifts (or lack of one completed) become rough.

Something to 'keep an eye on" for sure, and would require a trip to the Dealer if this happens regularly. Occasional odd behavior when you can pinpoint a cause is one thing (like getting on, off & on the throttle) but it shouldn't be a regular occurrence in normal driving.

Would perhaps cruise control be an issue with this? I like to use it whenever possible around the city on straight stretches to help save gas and make sure I am going the speed limit. I cant seem to get this car to stay at one speed. It's probably just me from moving from a big hoopy truck to a little car lol, but maintaining speed is difficult for me to do in this vehicle. If I remember correctly two of the times was coming out of cruise control.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It's a possibility I had in mind, and one reason I didn't move this straight into the problems section.

"Matching" speed input coming off cruise control isn't always smooth in any vehicle, and knowing the DCT isn't happy in general with "on, off, on" input I thought more comments from current owners might shed some light on "normal" vs. "an issue".

When it does what you describe during normal shifting/driving it IS a problem, but I'd have to comment that an odd event once in a while wouldn't be a worry. Severe & repeated - take it in for service.

Speed control takes some getting used to with economy gearing/smaller engines, seems to creep without you noticing. Smooth running & quiet doesn't help with the normal speed cues either. S-10 4 cyl. or Focus, it took time to adjust for me just as you mention.

Cheers

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a possibility I had in mind, and one reason I didn't move this straight into the problems section.

"Matching" speed input coming off cruise control isn't always smooth in any vehicle, and knowing the DCT isn't happy in general with "on, off, on" input I thought more comments from current owners might shed some light on "normal" vs. "an issue".

When it does what you describe during normal shifting/driving it IS a problem, but I'd have to comment that an odd event once in a while wouldn't be a worry. Severe & repeated - take it in for service.

Speed control takes some getting used to with economy gearing/smaller engines, seems to creep without you noticing. Smooth running & quiet doesn't help with the normal speed cues either. S-10 4 cyl. or Focus, it took time to adjust for me just as you mention.

Cheers
Well, it hasn't done it since the day I posted it. I hope it stays driving like it has been. If they would have to replace anything, would I have to pay for it? No one ever told me what is covered under warranty. I'm not much of a car person, in fact I am clueless to them except for washing and waxing since I used to work for a detail shop in highschool lol. I'm a PC repairman not a mechanic xD.

·
Rubber Side Down
2,415 Posts
Since you only have a couple hundred miles you should probably just get in touch with the dealership and let them figure out the issue under your factory warranty.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Well, it hasn't done it since the day I posted it. I hope it stays driving like it has been. If they would have to replace anything, would I have to pay for it? No one ever told me what is covered under warranty. I'm not much of a car person, in fact I am clueless to them except for washing and waxing since I used to work for a detail shop in highschool lol. I'm a PC repairman not a mechanic xD.
Hi there,

You're still well within the 1,000 mile break-in. :)
As far as your warranty is concerned, you can check out your Warranty Guide online HERE.

Meagan

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've actually not had an issue since. I'm at about 2,300 miles now. Now all I wish is to have the select shift lol. My car doesn't have it unfortunately xD.

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
Glad to hear it's working good. Mine acted kinda funny for the first few miles too but i'm at 14,000 now and a year of ownership and drives great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts