Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car rpm are going up by itslef for a few secongs (2-3 sec) in any moment, neutral or making a shift(manual transmition). I`ve notice that it happens to when i turn on the heater or just turn on the a/c, or the lights. Its really wear.
Please help me!!1

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Make sure you do not have an air intake leak. Or a sticking TB?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
My guess is that it is a sticking TB...check it out and report back your findings! haha

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
TPS. put it in neutral and see if it revs. if not, then put it in gear and press the cltuch in, and if it revs then, replace your TPS. easy quick fix. like 30 bucks tops.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
worst than that in when my car is cold it has a vibration that is getting me crazy. any idea?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I think its the TPS (throttle position sensor) Whens the last time you had plugs/wires? any DTC/CEL lights? The plugs/wires wont be causing the increasing in rpms, but may attribute it to being cold start and unhappy.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what does it does the TPS? how does it works, sorry about the question but i`m really a newby LOL

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
its the sensor on the side of your throttlebody. it uses voltage to tell your ecu when your throttlebody opens and closes and everything in between (99% sure) mine would foul out or get wet, and when I'd start my car and hold the clutch in, the rpms would climb slowly to redline, and in gear i could let the cltuch out and it would kinda pull itself.like iot was stuck at 1/4 throttle, but in neutral, it wouldnt do that, it would be normal again.

everytime I replaced mine, I'd take it off and the metal ring in there would be soaked. I'd replace it wand be good as new.

Our cars tend to do this, especially if you have a Cold Air Intake. Like AEM Style.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
^^^ It could be if the idle is too low on the cold car. How many miles on your car, motormounts may need to be replaced if the milage is high.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I would go with what 02SVT said. Definately sounds like the TPS is bad. DO NOT go to a dealer to get it fixed and dont even buy the part from them. A $30 part will cost over $200 to fix. You can get it from CFM for a good price and its an easy fix.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i had the same problem twice in 3 months with my tps dang cold air intakes lets water get in there thank god advanced auto had a 1 year warrenty lol replaced no cost to me (paid 24.99 and advanced auto parts) theyll order it and have it next day

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
You describe EXACTLY what my car started doing just recently. Pulled over and it was still revving between 2k - 3k. I was able to manually rev it by pulling on the throttle cable by the throttle body and could tell the butterfly valve was making solid contact.

My next step was to check all the vacuum lines, but looks like I'll be looking into a new TPS.

God I love this site. lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys for the answers, today i went to my mecanic and it was the engine support.
Do you know how much are they? and how much should it cost to change it, i think is the one on the passanger side.

thanks, getting to love this car!!!!!![:)~]

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
I'm kinda surprised nobody chimed in that it might be motor mounts and the engine revs were normal for cold weather. Some people wonder why their car revs higher in the winter, but it's supposed to do that during startup mode before the car warms up.

You'll pay more in labor than you will for the mount. I'm guessing this is a $200-300 repair. The stock style mounts are about $60. If you could do it yourself, you could order one from Mike Hilbish Ford (one of our vendors) and get a great discount on the stock part. If you want a high performance part, those are around $130 from vendors like Central Florida Motorsports or Focus Sport.

To do it yourself, you'd need basic hand tools, some kind of jack, and piece of plywood to protect the oil pan. Use the jack and the wood to support the engine from underneath before removing the motor mount.

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Well I know and understand the concept of the higher revs during the winter, but when it happens during coasting and out of no where it seems, and they just ping at close to 3k RPM's, then I know it's not right. I know my car well enough.

But my question, is why would motor mounts cause my engine to start climbing in revs like that? It seems more sensor related like the TPS.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts