Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post, i just bought a 2002 ford focus SE zetec, auto(which i absolutly hate lol) but it has over 188xxx miles on it and i was wondering if it would be ok to use RoyalPurple oil and Trans. Fluid or should i just put in Castrol GTX HighMilage.
Thanks!!

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
ooo thats a lot of miles, i have 100k and use it but idk about that many. Personal Message 1turbofocus and ask him. btw auto arent bad i have one and with a tune can be great. also you may just want to call RP directly and ask them, they make a good product and am sure they would be happy to answer your questions.

·
Registered
406 Posts
with that many miles i would use any synthetic oil, but you cant go wrong with royal purple

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
You can use it and 1turbofocus is just gonna say go Mobil 1 cuz he doen't use RP
Yup he doesn't use it and doesn't seem to like it for some reason. I'm a firm believer in RP after my buddy picked up 30whp on his built GTI just from switching to RP. Although if you have any oil leaks I wouldn't as it will leak out faster. If it doesn't I say go for it, it can't hurt anything and same goes for your transmission.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Yup he doesn't use it and doesn't seem to like it for some reason. I'm a firm believer in RP after my buddy picked up 30whp on his built GTI just from switching to RP. Although if you have any oil leaks I wouldn't as it will leak out faster. If it doesn't I say go for it, it can't hurt anything and same goes for your transmission.
That's the key word. Built engines benefit greatly from using RP after break in using petroleum oil for the first 500 or so miles. Motors that have rolled into six digits won't see these types of gains.

Check out my link in my sig below or PM me. I sell Amsoil synthetic fluid formulated for higher mileage cars.

·
WWTPD?
1,735 Posts
Do not waste your money on oil for a 190K mile motor. Use whatever name brand 5w30 is cheapest (castrol, pennz, quaker). If she burns/consumes oil, move to a "high mileage" formulation. Whatever you do, don't move to a synthetic now, IMO it would be a complete waste of money.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
That's the key word. Built engines benefit greatly from using RP after break in using petroleum oil for the first 500 or so miles. Motors that have rolled into six digits won't see these types of gains.

Check out my link in my sig below or PM me. I sell Amsoil synthetic fluid formulated for higher mileage cars.
Oh I know and I fully agree, but at my last oil change I used RP and I can def feel a difference. The car runs smoother, is quieter and while I wouldn't say I gained any power, it's definetly an improvement over Mobile1.

·
WWTPD?
1,735 Posts
Mobil 1 is now a semi-synth (mineral based, has been since the lawsuit WAY back). It is not a pure synthetic. That said BOTH M1 and RP shear down to 20 weights within a handful of miles. Theres your magical "power" you're feeling and to that end, it is doing a terrible job of protecting against bearing wear. If you wouldn't run a 5w20, don't buy M1 or RP. 95% of oil talk is placebo effect anyhow.

The only full synthetics I would ever run are castrol 0w30 (the german-made variant) and amsoil. RP would be great IF it didnt shear out of weight so quickly. In a non-turbo motor none of this really makes a difference but a FI motor that sees abuse will generally benefit from a higher weight oil and especially oil that REMAINS at its rated viscosity for the life of the change interval.

Those that still preach M1 and RP do so because "they always have" and "it works". Of course it works, now let me recommend you something that works *better*.

Castrol 0w30 (thicker than any 5w30 other than maybe amsoil SSO 0w30 - ironic right?).
Amsoil (take your pick, its all good stuff).

Filters should be Purolator PureONE, WIX or OEM.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
rp

Mobil 1 is now a semi-synth (mineral based, has been since the lawsuit WAY back). It is not a pure synthetic. That said BOTH M1 and RP shear down to 20 weights within a handful of miles. Theres your magical "power" you're feeling and to that end, it is doing a terrible job of protecting against bearing wear. If you wouldn't run a 5w20, don't buy M1 or RP. 95% of oil talk is placebo effect anyhow.

The only full synthetics I would ever run are castrol 0w30 (the german-made variant) and amsoil. RP would be great IF it didnt shear out of weight so quickly. In a non-turbo motor none of this really makes a difference but a FI motor that sees abuse will generally benefit from a higher weight oil and especially oil that REMAINS at its rated viscosity for the life of the change interval.

Those that still preach M1 and RP do so because "they always have" and "it works". Of course it works, now let me recommend you something that works *better*.

Castrol 0w30 (thicker than any 5w30 other than maybe amsoil SSO 0w30 - ironic right?).
Amsoil (take your pick, its all good stuff).

Filters should be Purolator PureONE, WIX or OEM.
Really because Hourse power tv did a study on this and they picked up 7 whp from changing oil to RP i use it always have used it and it works. i had a blazer that ran like shit and was about to die. i changed to RP on a whim and ran better and i got another 20k out of it until my tranny died. my focus i put RP in from the day i bought it with 85k on the clock. it runs smoother and never have i seen metal flakes in my oil. i protects the engine better than any other oil i have ever used and i love it.

·
Banned
2,334 Posts
i use amsoil and mobil 1. i almost used rp , then i did my research on it and returned it asap. rp has grafite in it and thats what alowes you to get the hp increase, but if you look up what happens to grafite when it breakes down in oil you will find that you will get carbon build up really bad on the internals. so you can use rp if you want to but make suere you change your oil in time cause if you dont your car will be even worse then before. as for the 188thou miles , if your car is not running synthetic right now you might run into problems after you change over , like oil leaks and lots of em. your best bet is to just change out you gaskets and do a complete tune up. fuel filter, trans fluid, gaskets,seafoam, then run synthetic. good luck and enjoy. oh one more thing auto isnt bad, just go get yourself a tune.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys i really apreciate it right now it has no oil leaks and its using synthetic oil. thanks guys for the help.!

·
FF Affiliate
31,098 Posts
There is no way to gain 30HP from changing oul unless he want from 90wt the a full synthetic , I go see testing at the Teams all the time for new snake oils that get sent to them , If rp was the best every Nascar , open wheel , late model sportsman team would have it in there car and they dont

Tom

·
FF Affiliate
31,098 Posts

Amsoil , rp are all the same , no documented back to back tests done , I have seen what these oild so at testing sesions at a few of the Nascar teams that I am allowed to go in what things are being done and there oils are no better then std syntheric oils on the market today

Tom

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
does changing the type of oil that you use hurt the motor, you know if you use RP one time then change to Moble or some other oil?

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
it shouldnt hurt anything. however if you go to full synthetic it wouldnt be wise to use anything but synthetic from then on.

·
I.S.A.I.K.I.
5,413 Posts
Amsoil , rp are all the same , no documented back to back tests done , I have seen what these oild so at testing sesions at a few of the Nascar teams that I am allowed to go in what things are being done and there oils are no better then std syntheric oils on the market today

Tom

I have back to back data testing done by an independant third party, Oil Analyzers.

Check it http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.aspx

Seems like Mobil 1 comes in second everytime Tom. [neener]

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
lol alright guys be nice.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts