Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found out that they sell this oil at the local pepboys i have heard godo things about it. has anyone used it here?

does it actaully give slights bits of power
is it worth 6.99 QT ?
how often do you have to change it? 3k? 5k? 10k?

·
Registered
2,528 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Every 5k is fine unless you're driving it hard. Independent lab tests showed it gave a 1-3% gain in HP and fuel economy.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
I'm just as happy with my cheaper Mobil-1. Its not a fancy purple color, or as good as the double the price Amsoil, but it works, and it works well.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
royal purple >*

it will stand up to 5,000 miles of abuse, and 10-15,000 of normal driving. regular dino oil wil stand up to 3,000 miles of abuse just fyi. and i don't like mobile 1 at all, I HAD A BAD EXPERINCE. lol

·
Registered
359 Posts
I run Royal Purple change every 5-7k, with the turbo, before the boost I changed it at 7-10k. if you change it at 3k you are just dumping money down the drain.

The biggiest thing you guys need to learn is the oil HOLDS the FILTER DOES NOT. after 3k change filter and top the oil off. then drive to 7-10k.

Then do full oil change.

Again the filter wears out wayyyyy before the oil does.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Every God Damn Penny, ist excellent!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have used BG Hi-Lo 30 in all my cars and the engines are clean even my mazdaspeed protege with 64,000 hard run miles on it, still looks clean.
when i got my timing belt replaced (you have to remove the valve cover)
the tech came and got me and asked how long the new motor was in the car. he couldnt believe it when i told him that it was the original motor

http://www.bgprod.com/products/engineoil.html

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
bryfsvt said:
I run Royal Purple change every 5-7k, with the turbo, before the boost I changed it at 7-10k. if you change it at 3k you are just dumping money down the drain.

The biggiest thing you guys need to learn is the oil HOLDS the FILTER DOES NOT. after 3k change filter and top the oil off. then drive to 7-10k.

Then do full oil change.

Again the filter wears out wayyyyy before the oil does.
yeah, most filters ARE designed to go 5,000 - 7,500 miles.

i mean, how else could the owners manual say to do oil cahnges every 5,000 miles and i some cases of toyoters every 7,500????

but ill stick wtih changing it between 3-5k depending on if im getting ansy to work on my car, and always always always a k&n gold filter, doesn't filter as well as some, but thoes really small particles won't hurt the motor and the oil will keep particles that small suspened. but ill choose a filter that lets oil flow a little better than filtering a better.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
next oil change in 2k miles i will be trying this oil thats for the reponses guys

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
Any time you watch one of those automotive TV shows (Trucks!, Hot Rod, Xtreme 4x4, Horsepower), every fluid they use is Royal Purple.

·
Sückn' n Blown
7,747 Posts
Hmmm, I wonder who pays their bills... [;)]

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
wow. i had no idea how tv stations made their money, i thought it was from paying your cable bill each month.

:lol: thanks captain obvious :p j/k

·
Registered
496 Posts
I use it and it seems pretty good, change it every 5k miles. I use a magnetic drain plug to catch the really really small stuff and an inexpensive Purolator Pure One filter.
I don’t think the expensive filters are worth the extra cash. Buy better oil, use a magnetic drain plug a descent filter and call it a day.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts