Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.turbo-kits.com/focus_turbo_kits.html

Does any one have that kit? how much did it cost you final for tuning and everything? What are the numbers it put down? any advice on any other turbo's. I was thinking about building my own, but i think i will run into alot of problems and my car would be down for too long. I would like a turbo from tom, but i dont have 6k for a turbo setup. I see he has one for 2795 and some change with the T3, stainless mani, piping, oil pan w/welded bung, hoses and clamps, oil lines & fittings. what do you know about the T3. What about the T3/T4 hybrid, this sounds like a great turbo, just want to get some info/input/advice.

Eric

·
Registered
813 Posts
Tom no longer makes turbo kits for the Focus so mark that one off the list. I've just recently purchases the Roush Kit and I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I bought this kit after my order for Tom's Stg 1 fell through. I probably wont have it on for at least a couple of months becuase I'm getting married next month and don't have time to install and tune. Sorry I can't be more help about the kit. Someone to ask about it would be spikNspan DAN. He's had this kit on his car and tuned for some time now.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
osiris_vdc said:
Tom no longer makes turbo kits for the Focus so mark that one off the list. I've just recently purchases the Roush Kit and I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I bought this kit after my order for Tom's Stg 1 fell through. I probably wont have it on for at least a couple of months becuase I'm getting married next month and don't have time to install and tune. Sorry I can't be more help about the kit. Someone to ask about it would be spikNspan DAN. He's had this kit on his car and tuned for some time now.
well that sucks. im waiting on spiknspan DAN's reply. do you know any of the specs on it. how much did you pay for it? can i upgrade that package? could i after time swap turbos to a T3/T4 turbo for more power, or would i even need to upgrade, just turn the PSI up.

eric

·
Registered
813 Posts
Here is what is included in the kit:

ROUSH Focus Turbo Kits Include:
- T3/T04E Turbonetics Turbo
- Thermocoated Cast-Steel Turbo Manifold
- Thermocoated Mandrel-Bent Downpipe
- EGR Flex Tube
- Roush/Turbonetics 35mm Wastegate
- Spearco W.A.V.E. Front-Mount Intercooler
- Polished Aluminum Intercooler Piping
- Roush Custome ECU FLASH
- (4) Roush Tuned 38lb injectors
- Inlet Air Temp Sensor
- PCV Check Valve
- Bosch Blow Off Valve (BOV)
- K&N Filter
- Install Instructions & Wiring Diagrams
- All Necessary Hardware & Fittings

I got a specail deal on this kit due to a problem with a different turbo from a different supplier. The best price I've seen recently on this kit was from www.mcnewsautomotive.com at $3,500. I don't know off the top of my head what the stock turbo is rated to in terms of power. I know the turning Roush provides is good to 10lbs of boost which is good for about 200/200 at the wheels.

Here is a link to the Roush Turbo Kit on McNews' site:
http://www.mcnewsautomotive.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=R07090001

I think I read somewhere of someone pushing 19lbs of boost through this kit. It seemed to work fine until the pipe that runs across the top of the motor got so hot it melted the valve cover and caused a huge oil leak. So it sounds like it's a bad idea to really push this kit much over the 12-15lib mark.

Oh yea, and stock Zetec internal only hold about 250 WHP reliably.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Isaw a roush turbo zx3 at moroso, I don't know if anything was upwith the car, the best run I saw with it was 15.3. I think someone said it was Steedas car.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
osiris_vdc said:

Oh yea, and stock Zetec internal only hold about 250 WHP reliably.
Thats not totally true.... with a good tune and race gas Tom ran his first ZX3 over 300whp on all stock internals.

·
Registered
813 Posts
03OrangeSVT said:
Thats not totally true.... with a good tune and race gas Tom ran his first ZX3 over 300whp on all stock internals.
This is very true. I guess I always just assume the end user will be using 91-93 and not really high octane fuel. It is a good idea to let them know about all the possibilities though. Thanks Orange!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
03OrangeSVT said:
Well i can get race gas. What about the 02 sensors? are they eliminated, and does the roush program come with the correct program to bypass this so my check engine light is not always on? or do you still use the 02 sensors. also i would not be able to run more than 10psi on stock internals?? is that the breaking point or can i run more than that?? also been looking for pics of a car with this turbo. I found the ones where they are selling the turbo's, but im looking for multiple view's.

thanks
eric

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i have the turbo kit, i liked it only after i did some modifications on it, just make sure hey give you everything you need to run it safely. it gets really hod under that hood

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
focuztyle said:
i have the turbo kit, i liked it only after i did some modifications on it, just make sure hey give you everything you need to run it safely. it gets really hod under that hood
what did you need to do for modifications? seems like with 8-10psi the flash kit it comes with and some tuning it would be fine. but yeah what did you do to it to get the full potential out of it.

eric

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so when i get a tuner, can i do my own tuning? does it just plug into the OBD2 connector and let me tune it myself? not that i plan on doing my own tuning, but just a question.

·
Registered
25,630 Posts
I just wanted to chime in. I have driven one and liked it quite a bit. Nice kit. I drove the roush press car and the tune was nice, I think it made about 206 or 209 HP ( if memory serves). You can buy this kit and run it as is, there is always more power to be had in a professional tune on something like this. Give the guys at Mcnews a call, I know they have installed and tuned roush kits before.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
i got 240's outta mine with p&p head hks bov and some other stuff, they use the reciculating bov, which is not somehitng u want from a turbo.
but dont let anyone tell you that they make 206 outta the box, ask any cusotmer that actually paid for the kit, not the roush people, they will tell it is nowhere near 200!!!!.
even the steeda one did 178 outta the box, mine was 160 outta the box at 6lbs, had to change shims to go to 8lb and now on 14lbs.

·
Registered
813 Posts
focuztyle said:
they use the reciculating bov, which is not somehitng u want from a turbo.
Actaully it's a good idea to use a recirculating BOV on a MAF. It's generally NOT a good idea to be venting metered air to the atmosphere. You can end up with bogging issues during gear shifts. The computer will see X amount of air that you just vented a part of out and it will add enough fuel for the whole amount metered causing a rich condition temporarily.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
It also depends on your MAF setup, I have a blow through and my BOV vents to atmosphere before the MAF... that way there is no metered air being vented.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.