Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are some bullet points of what I've been experiencing these past two weeks. I hope you guys can help me. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess exhaust. But I want to see what you guys think.

- Lately, I've noticed that when I start my car (to heat up in the morning for example) the engine sounds rougher from outside.

- My idle also feels a bit rougher as well.

- When I'm driving I experience heavier, more significant vibrations in all three pedals when driving and idle.

- When I'm driving, mostly uphills, my car seems a bit sluggish and it seems that I need to wait longer before I can shift upwards without being too low in the next higher gear.

- When I come to a stop at a light, sometimes I'll hear some metal "clinking" or rattling kinda below me/towards the engine bay. If I rev the engine, it will go away or it will go away on it's own also.

What do you guys think? I kinda want to get a feel for what I need to replace and how much that will cost me.

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Anything loose can rattle, exh. is high on the list from the location/sounds.

I'll start with the basic questions, have you checked/replaced plugs lately? Looking at them & the plug boots is a good place to start.

Can't remember the history, did you look at the vacuum/PCV hoses recently?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks sailor for the reply. Just changed the plugs to the autolites in June. Boots looked good then too. Had the IM completely replaced along with the tstat, PCV hose and valve couple months back. Had that issue where my engine light came on a month after. Error was a P2004 code. Checked vacuum hose and it was almost disconnected. Pushed it back into place and light hasn't come back on since.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, sometimes when I'm driving, it feels like the gas cuts out for a second. Happens once or twice in a 15 mile trip when accelerating.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bump for some more input???

·
Registered
637 Posts
Sailor has good points. But by the sound of it, I'd say motor mount/mounts.

The gas cut out thing is strange though. That could be that the conductive material in the TPS has worn out in one spot.

How is the air filter? How many miles again? I forgot lol. And have you ever changed the fuel filter?

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mandroid,

Motor Mounts were all changed out new when I replaced my suspension Aug/Sept of this year.

I don't recall ever purposely having a mechanic change the fuel filter, and I've never done it personally, so I'd say no.

Miles are at 99k right now.

When I had the tech at Pepboys check the CEL for my check engine light, he started the car and immediately stated that my exhaust sounded bad. But I take anything Pepboys says with a grain of salt because of them trying to screw me in the past. Now, since that had happened, I'm starting to change my tune.

I just want to make sure I know with what area of the car could be the problem before I have it checked. I don't want the mechanic to try to take advantage of the situation.

·
Registered
637 Posts
When you had your mounts replaced did you use OEM mounts? And damn man, you put a lot of money in this car so far. I'd have that fuel filter changed asap. Its easy to do.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah your right. I've done a lot of work, but it was all needed. I can ask a mechanic to change the filter with the work that needs done.

All mounts were new straight from Andy at village ford. I made sure I got the right parts.

I'm nervous about the cost to repair the exhaust if it is needed. Money is tight around the holidays.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lol. Anyone know what I could possibly expect to pay for an exhaust repair? From last to midday expensive? I know it is a wide open question. But I gotta ask. I was planning on getting a better exhaust but that wasn't until summer. Ugh

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Low could be $50 or less to a high of the aftermarket exh. you want plus installation.

Until you know what's loose/broken/rusted out there's really no way to tell.

Sorry bud, you've had a LOT to fix this year.

·
Registered
17,467 Posts
Quite frankly a dumb question since you don't detail what the exhaust issue is. Any answer you get will be worthless to you.................like saying 'my car is broke, how much will it cost? Can't possibly answer intelligently there. Like the OP, so many things shoved in there one could advise you to spend another $1000 and still not fix all the issues with the vague possibly misleading 'bullet points'. Your descriptions are straight out of the catalog belonging to those who get scammed the hardest in repairs. If we in replacing the mechanics all chimed in with $500-$750 say, you would look at that as what it costs even if only a $20 bracket repair. Accepting wild guessing is the mark of one who does not truly run the problem down hard to minimize the cost. You have to take a much more active role in looking at your situation than that.

At least make the effort to find out what is exactly wrong with the exhaust...................at this stage you have no defense whatsoever if the exhaust guy comes up to tell you you need an entire exhaust all the way back including cat.

I haven't spent as much as you on my last 3 cars put together and through their entire lifetimes.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is weird. Everyone time you, amc49, leaves feedback on any issue I have, I am immediately offended. I don't know why. Maybe it is the way you convey your knowledge or simply my ignorance when it comes to cars. But none the less, I appreciate it. I believe it to be the exhaust. I only asked for help to provide some guidance from the gurus so I don't get blind sided by a mechanic. But in the end, you remind me of why I come here to ask the stupid questions. Thank you. And I really mean that.

Anyways, thank you sailor and Mandroid for your help. I'll go to a mechanic and get things straightened out.

·
Registered
17,467 Posts
Yeah, but there can be 50 things wrong with the exhaust, you see that right? Come to my garage with only that and you'll leave with an all new exhaust that costs you say $1000.........you can't state the exact problem, therefore I fix every one there can possibly be in the exhaust. That does not serve your hard-earned dollars well at all. You have to narrow it down much further than that or you WILL pay and I mean the BIG bucks and much of it totally wasted and unjustified. Repair places will LOVE you, the 'easy to steer to my benefit' customer there. You need to get out of that, it does not help you at all.

Yes, I'm an ass. I apologize for that.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Amc49, everything you just stated helps no one but your ego. Honestly, you have not helped me nor anyone who may have my problem. Now other members here have asked me questions to try to narrow my problem down. You always offer nothing but egocentric comments. I love this site and members comments here but can do without yours. Thank you but for now on, don't comment in my threads, and I ask that politely.

Otherwise, I apologize. Please, if anybody else may have insight, I'm extremely happy to hear it.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Amc49, people take there cars to a mechanic for two reasons:
1) to have a service performed, ie change the oil
2) fix a problem. Here the expectation is the mechanic will diagnose and repair the problem. If you use this as an opportunity to replace everything you are just a rip off artist.

Too many people are rip off artists and you cannot expect consumers to be an expert in everything to protect themselves.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I don't mean to cause waves. I appreciate everyone's constructive input. In the end, when I ask questions concerning issues with my car, I like to fix them myself. Best way for me to troubleshoot my focus, and actually, my other vehicles. I just want to narrow this down as it is most likely something I can't fix on my own. From my symptoms and research, I believe this to be my catalytic converter. But I may be wrong. I don't want a mechanic to come to me and say it is that, and, "oh you need (completely different component) replaced too.

Again, don't mean to cause a scene. Love these boards and the members within. Just looking for some guidance. Thank you

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks gary, I'll give them a look over. Appreciate the input.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts