Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2003 Focus SE 130,000 miles, has recently started having a rough idle when the engine is first started in the morning. Once the engine warms up it seems to smooth out and run better. This has happened for about 2 weeks now. Just before this problem started I had just replaced the air filter. I do not know if this is related but I get no check engine light. I thought that perhaps the spark plugs and wires were the problem but I changed them and still have the problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Which engine does she have? If it's the SPI (split port injection), you might want to try to sell it before it self destructs.

Check to be sure that you correctly tightened everything down at the air cleaner assembly, and nothing is out of place.

Remove your spark plugs, clean, re-gap, re-install or replace if needed. Use anti-seize on the threads to prevent future issues.

We don't have many Utahns on here, but one of them had an SPI with that same problem for a while. Now it's getting a V8. Unfortunately, the SPI engines tend to drop a valve seat in the #4 cylinder sometimes causing complete engine destruction- and always causing an expensive engine repair. If you can work on engines yourself, you can remove the cylinder head, take it to a head shop, and have a head job with new valve seats. That has worked for other SPI owners on here.

I don't think that's your problem, but I feel like I have to warn new SPI owners about the potential of having that problem. Your problem sounds more like a PCV valve vacuum line. The idle is probably a bit low as well. Check all the simple stuff like that first.

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
If this is a Zetec.. I'll be watching this thread. I have the same issues. Not necessarily a rough idle, but lots of vibrations that can be heard and felt. I was thinking it was a motor mount but they seem to be in good shape still.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it is a Zetec. Yes what you are describing is what I am hearing and feeling. I was wondering about motor mounts but was not sure how to check them.

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
Well me and my old man checked mine tonight. If it's a manual, have someone watch the engine while you sit in the car. Set the handbrake and put it in 1st. Slowly let the clutch engage while giving it some gas. Just enough to put pressure on the engine. If you see/hear the motor mount moving/vibrating then it may need to be replaced. Now do the same thing but put it in reverse.

No idea how to check on an automatic.

Mine didn't really budge so I don't think it's a motor mount issue. Not for me at least.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
I checked the mounts with the torque test like that. They looked fine. I finally got fed up with the vibrating. When I took the passenger side off, it fell apart in 2 pieces. Check it carefully. Mine still had the silicone fluid in it and looked good.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
So your mounts were all good then? What was the problem?
No, It fell apart into 2 pieces. It was the bottom half that broke.You couldnt see it until I removed it. I replaced the passenger side with a new Ford unit. My driver side and torque mount are urethane .

·
@redwoodone
9,432 Posts
Oh, I gotcha. My passenger side one was just off a few months ago when I did my timing belt, and I think it was fine. But maybe it has broke since then.. I'll have to look.

·
Registered
438 Posts
They don't neccessarily have to be falling apart to show symptoms of failure. If you are getting a lot of vibration and loud buzzing felt throughout the car, I would bet passenger side mount.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts