Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys!

Just traded in my 2001 Ford Focus with 175k miles on it and I bought a 2012 Ford Focus SEL Hatchback with 23.5k miles on it. Beautiful car! [twothumbs]

However... after a few days I noticed that while the car was running and in Park, the idle seems to be really rough (deep rumbling vibration, RPMs at about 750-800). This is also the case while in Drive and sitting still. I can feel it even when I am at speed but road conditions and the motor mask the vibrations felt while just in idle. I have not felt any transmission issues as of yet other then the hill rollback, just the rough vibrating idle.

Do we have any ideas what the most likely cause of this is?

Build Date: Nov, 21 2011
Vehicle Line: Focus (C346N)
Body Style: 5 Door Saloon
Version: Sel Version
Engine: 2.0L Duratec DI TI-VCT (160PS)
Transmission: 6 Speed Auto Transmission DPS6
Drive: LHD FWD
Paint: Tuxedo Black Metallic

·
Registered
629 Posts
From what I have read its just the way the engine is. Using mid-grade or better for fuel helps smooth out the idle also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have used nothing but premium 93 since I bought it. Also have used fuel injector cleaner 3 times. I dropped it off at a ford dealer today. I hope that i don't get the "it's fine" speech.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Remember you also probably had worn and soft engine mounts in your old car, this being a newer machine the mounts are gonna be a little stiffer. Also, you don't need to put 93 in it. It's an N/A, 87 and it should be fine.

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Also, you don't need to put 93 in it. It's an N/A, 87 and it should be fine.
You are correct that 87 octane is sufficient but there are numerous anecdotal reports in this forum that the 2.0 Ti-VCT engine has a smoother idle on 93 octane.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had been told that people feel that it runs better (smoother) with 93 so thats all I have used so far.

That said I am hoping it's a motor mount. I have no idea how the person before me used this car but it definently runs rougher then what I would expect for a 2 year old car.

·
Registered
952 Posts
if I replace the motor mount, should I go with Ford OEM or some other brand?
Focus Electric would be your OE option and it does a great job. FSWerks just released and insert you can add to your existing mount that I hear does wonders. Anything after that is pretty pricey and higher up on the noise/vibration/harshness (NVH). You're pretty well safe with whatever you choose, so what type of performance do you want?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, I found FSWerks but reading the discription it seems like vibration would increase NOT go away or be reduced (though proformance would be better). I am looking to stop the vibration on this car. It vibrates like my 07 dodge caravan with 155k miles on it. I just use this car to go A to B and I'm not looking to race or show it anywhere.

Any suggestion to reduce this vibration?

·
#dailydriven
6,103 Posts
well if you dont want it to decrease then you will probably need to buy a new stock mount. I dont know the part number but you can get it from any dealership.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drove my wife's focus tonight for the first time in a few months. I noticed it has a similar issue. It's also a 2013, automatic trans with 22k miles. She thinks it's been going on for about 4 months, but doesn't do it all the time. I'm curious what other solutions come up. Maybe bad flywheel?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've read on here that the flywheel might be the issue also. I can't remember if they said to replace it with a 2013 or 2014 flywheel.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
Just going to throw this out there, but I'm pretty sure the E-Focus RMM is only going to make the vibrations worse. If the mounts are the problem, replace them with the stock mounts. But I wouldn't start throwing parts at a car when you don't know what the problem is yet.

Maybe you have a bad / unbalanced clutch assembly (did you ever get any work done on it where they replaced it?). There were some vehicles with that problem, but not with your build date.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=300891

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I literally just bought the car a week ago. I haven't done anything to it other than put gas in it. That said i have no clue what the old owner did.

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
I literally just bought the car a week ago. I haven't done anything to it other than put gas in it. That said i have no clue what the old owner did.
Sometimes I don't think before I type. [wiggle]

Why do you think the E Focus RMM would cause it to be worse?
It's a stiffer mount - so you're going to get more vibrations. Unless the stock mount is destroyed - then it would be better than what you currently have. But stock is still going to be the best option for low vibration.
http://www.focusst.org/forum/focus-st-performance/3506-e-focus-rmm-install-question.html

·
__________/\__
2,183 Posts
Why do you think the E Focus RMM would cause it to be worse?
PratoN is absolutely correct. The E Focus motor mount is a performance upgrade, not a NVH (Noise Vibration Harshness) upgrade. It is stiffer and if you have a vibration problem with the stock mount, the E Focus mount will only exacerbate the problem.

The Ti-VCT engine in the MK3 Focus actually has one of the smoother idles in its class. You need to have your car checked out to see what is going on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts