Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i have a 2000 se sedan zetec/automatic with 157,000ish miles. a little while ago i started to get a strange idle but it wasnt consistent...maybe once a month or so. so i left it alone knowing the dealer wouldnt be able to replicate it. now whenever im stopped for more than 30-40 seconds it dies. i can start it right up again after. one thing i noticed thats odd is whenever i have the ac on the rough idle goes away and no more stalling just an occasional hesitation.[scratch] if im stopped with ac on its fine, with ac off it dies. weird huh? [dunno] im also having a hesitation accelerating at all throttle positions other than wide open and its occampanied by a noticable hissing noise...you can hear it from outside the car. anyone have something similar to this or any clues what it could be?

so i know i have a possible vacuum leak somewhere. i havnt had a chance to pull the code of the c.e.l. but il keep you posted once i get it.

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
so im thinking maybe maybe the pcm isnt getting a signal or not enough from the tps...the ac helping idle sounds to me like the computer is refrencing the high and low voltages on the ac circuit and maybe one from the crank to keep the motor running. which is now making sense because if i go wide open throttle from a stop the car bogs then suddenly takes off. hmmm....think i found the answer to my own problem lol

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
The AC being on kicks the idle up a bit. So, that may be part of it. It does sound like a vaccum leak, there are only a few vac. hoses on the Fofo; see if you can track that hiss down, wiggle the hoses and listen for the leak.

Also, if the fuel filter hasn't been done in 30K , do it!

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i replaced the fuel filter maybe 8 or 9k miles ago...and i found the vacuum leak pcv hose was loose so i tightened it up and no more noise. still idling rough and stalling. my guess is tps or maybe o2sensor but im not sure yet. gonna try some stuff in the morning and see what happens

1 - 4 of 4 Posts