Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,
I have a rough idle on a 2003 Focus ZX5 2.0L Zetec. I have changed the plugs, tested the wires, and changed the coil pack (when I had a faulty coil, not just for fun). I have changed the passenger side engine mount, the transmission mount, and the torque strut mount. I have changed the tensioner pulley, the idler pulley, and the belt (also, because they needed changing). I've changed the upstream O2 sensor, the EGR valve and fixed the PCV hose (the PCV hose had collapsed in the corner so I reinforced it with some hose clamps). I also cleaned the IAC valve and the throttle body. There are no codes and the voltage is around 14V, the MAF reads about 23cfm, the vacuum is around 24 in Hg, the fuel rail pressure is around 40 psi, and the rpms are around 800 all at warm idle. I've been hunting this problem for a year or more and I just can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated. Also, I know how some of you guys like to socialize on these boards, but that is not what this is about. I have been beating my head against the wall with this issue and am only interested is cold, hard, concrete, and creative help.

Thanks for your time,

Karl

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
What brand motor mounts?
Anything but Ford brand are garbage.

The part about trying to fix a bad PCV hose with clamps, if it has a hole or split, it may be sucking air.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The PCV hose was just collapsed in the corner. I keep checking it, and it's fine. I don't really want to get into the brand debate here as far as the mounts are concerned. I've done my research, and what I put in is just fine.

Thanks,

Karl

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
First, you can not fix a collapsing vacuum hose with clamps. It just seems absurd to me that you've paid to replace higher dollar parts but won't spend the $5 to fix the PCV hose correctly.
Start there.

If you know the fuel PSI that means you must have a scan tool of some type. What do the STFT's tell you?
What do the LTFT's look like?

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
Making demands as to the FREE help you ask for...............not wise..............and your diagnosis shows it too.

I can make a 'rough' idle by simply putting like 20 keys on my key ring and sticking it in ignition. Listen to them rattle! Rough idle is fifty things to fifty people. You're #51. The described problem must be cold and concise before the cure could ever be.

You are 100% incorrect as to the mount issue but your problem judging from that mindset...........take apart a few and you might learn why. And clamping the PCV hose? Pretty funny, certainly not a 'concrete' cure there.............you did nothing whatever to fix the pinholes that suck into soft rubber collapsed like that. They can come and go when they reseal up for a bit.

Why not try at least cutting the rough idle issue in half to help yourself out? Rough idle as in cylinders not firing dead evenly, or rough as in firing evenly and engine running fine but engine does not feel smooth and it shows inside car on dash and other things. Or, vibration noise. Two totally different conditions there with different repair streams. Many cannot tell the difference. Can you?

You DID say cold........................

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
amc49, your reply doesn't fit into the "cold, hard, concrete, and creative help" category. It falls into the "I have emotional issues" category. Also, I'm not here to beg for help. I'm here to have an intelligent conversation based on facts and reproducible evidence, not feelings, instincts, and magic. Why are you harassing me? Are you bored? Are you lonely? There is a lot of free counseling that might be able to help you with your problems. I said what I said in the beginning of this thread for a reason. You pissed all over it. Why?

Karl

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First, you can not fix a collapsing vacuum hose with clamps. It just seems absurd to me that you've paid to replace higher dollar parts but won't spend the $5 to fix the PCV hose correctly.
Start there.

If you know the fuel PSI that means you must have a scan tool of some type. What do the STFT's tell you?
What do the LTFT's look like?
Well iminhell, you can and I did. I'm definitely not the first one to do it. What fantasy land do you live in where you can walk into a store and get a PVC hose for a 2003 Focus Zetec for $5? I checked four stores and none of them could even order it. $24 online plus the time for delivery. So, I used what I had at home to get the job done. As far as the fuel trim is concerned it's within a few percent all day, long and short.

Thanks,
Karl

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
I can fix my PCV hose for like $5, after an initial mod to enable that of maybe $10. All pretty much commonly available OTC parts at most parts stores. Who cares about stock hoses, I usually don't use them at all. Hint, using steel brake line for the back portion of PCV hose right now. Let's see that collapse.

Until you qualify that idle issue better as I suggested you are going nowhere in a hurry, you passed over that part yourself. Rough idle can be 50 things and not helping yourself there at all. Certainly not cold, concise, concrete, and creative there.

Look here, break your problem down like I said, no mechanic in the universe can fix it before doing the same thing. Or you need another mechanic and common.

Open your mind up to mount issues, you won't be the first we've choked here who swore the mount was NOT the issue. May not be mount at all but you DO need to come to the altar about the quality of any aftermarket ones out there, I sold and warrantied plenty when in parts and been through maybe 20 myself, there is NO competent manufacturer of them other than Ford, at least on the pass side and the one that vibrates by far the most. If you got one that works fine, it may not be in the next week and what they do best. You're gonna love it when it works fine to explode the top parts out suddenly to fall through belt to tear everything up and more common than you think. A major flaw in aftermarket parts does that, that virtually no research will show or explain but I can. The parts are commonly junk new in the box.

Not you, I'm pretty much at war with the world. Don't take it personally.

Describe the bad idle MUCH better, what gear, cold/warm, a/c on/off, Any engine power issues? Can you feel or see engine jerking around ERRATICALLY by say putting hand on engine? Ever looked to see if O2 sensor1 bank1 is properly switching hi/lo at dead warm idle? HOW did you test plug wires? Any idea of if tensioner with your new belt is properly in the indicated running range rather than way off to one side? TPS ever been messed with? How much does dash vibrate? Can you scan to look for PENDING codes, or errors the PCM has found but not logged as real yet? Big one, engine ever been overheated? Mileage?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can fix my PCV hose for like $5, after an initial mod to enable that of maybe $10. All pretty much commonly available OTC parts at most parts stores. Who cares about stock hoses, I usually don't use them at all. Hint, using steel brake line for the back portion of PCV hose right now. Let's see that collapse.

Until you qualify that idle issue better as I suggested you are going nowhere in a hurry, you passed over that part yourself. Rough idle can be 50 things and not helping yourself there at all. Certainly not cold, concise, concrete, and creative there.

Look here, break your problem down like I said, no mechanic in the universe can fix it before doing the same thing. Or you need another mechanic and common.

Open your mind up to mount issues, you won't be the first we've choked here who swore the mount was NOT the issue. May not be mount at all but you DO need to come to the altar about the quality of any aftermarket ones out there, I sold and warrantied plenty when in parts and been through maybe 20 myself, there is NO competent manufacturer of them other than Ford, at least on the pass side and the one that vibrates by far the most. If you got one that works fine, it may not be in the next week and what they do best. You're gonna love it when it works fine to explode the top parts out suddenly to fall through belt to tear everything up and more common than you think. A major flaw in aftermarket parts does that, that virtually no research will show or explain but I can. The parts are commonly junk new in the box.
amc49,
If you want attention, go have a temper tantrum in front of mommy and daddy. If you poop yourself while you do it they might notice you this time. I'm trying to solve adult problems here. I don't have time for this nonsense.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
You don't need to waste time creating a new enemy as long as you have that guy in the mirror............it begins to be much more clear why it's taken you a year with no resolution there.

Recognize that you have no way to enforce that we think and do exactly as you seem to command. How about the stellar response you got at the 'other' website as well. How clear and concise was that?

To solve adult problems you must first have an adult. Making cold, hard, concrete demands as soon as you show up is not the diplomatic 'adult' way to do things.

I'm going to ask you a THIRD time to more fully describe the rough idle; what is wrong with you that you can't even do that? If you overreact again I will be done here and leave you alone.

Nothing personal at all but your refusal to even think about debating the concrete ideas already in your head is a serious limitation to your problem solving skills. I can do that all day long or being 'creative', and where you MUST go once the obvious fixes do not work. It does not work therefore I must be doing something wrong, the first rule of scientific observation. You then make up a new fix out of thin air and no magic if you can do it and it works again and again after that. There is no such thing as magic with any engine, they all work alike according to strict laws of physcs, and I work with nothing pretty much but facts and reproducible evidence, probably more so than any other person you will ever meet. You have seriously misjudged me and my abilities.

You with that fat head should surely understand why I 'pissed' on your OP. We are two of the same kind and I resent anyone telling me what I HAVE to do, or how I have to do it, just like you. Give that some thought, you're not unique. Neither am I, my head is FATTER than yours. I can look at that critically, can you?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
A humble attitude is needed to approach an unsolved issue with hope of resolution.

A clear & open mind is the essential tool for any useful diagnostics, if all is "known" there would be no questions remaining.

Change the attitude, consider & respond to suggestions in a reasonable manner, or this thread will be closed/deleted as necessary.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Check all the rest of your vacuum lines and do a compression test.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just putting it out there, but it does help if you do describe the idle better. "Idling roughly" is basically useless without additional info (such as when does it idle rough, under what conditions, which is not mentioned). There are frankly dozens of things that can cause a rough idle, so without more information it is basically impossible to do any more then speculate on the issue.

Getting petulant when someone who is trying to help you asks for this very basic information is frankly childish, you came here asking for free help, the least you could do is answer questions meant to try and narrow down the issue, even if you don't "like" the tone you perceive from the response. You must keep an open mind when asking for help, after all if you knew what the issue was/wasn't you wouldn't need to ask in the first place.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Never mind, OP isn't worth trying to help out.

·
Registered
17,172 Posts
Actually, they all are, if nothing else, to prove to ourselves we are better than that. Why with all my issue of being such an ass, I still try when I think about it. It's about me and how I want to look at myself. Being an ass that helps people is still better than just an ass by itself, even if only by a few degrees.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just putting it out there, but it does help if you do describe the idle better. "Idling roughly" is basically useless without additional info (such as when does it idle rough, under what conditions, which is not mentioned). There are frankly dozens of things that can cause a rough idle, so without more information it is basically impossible to do any more then speculate on the issue.

Getting petulant when someone who is trying to help you asks for this very basic information is frankly childish, you came here asking for free help, the least you could do is answer questions meant to try and narrow down the issue, even if you don't "like" the tone you perceive from the response. You must keep an open mind when asking for help, after all if you knew what the issue was/wasn't you wouldn't need to ask in the first place.
Maybe you should read the whole question before you answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sailor,

I clearly sated what I was interested in the beginning:

"I know how some of you guys like to socialize on these boards, but that is not what this is about. I have been beating my head against the wall with this issue and am only interested is cold, hard, concrete, and creative help."

Some of your members (especially amc49) decided to blatantly ignore my wishes and impose their personal feelings on me when it was clearly unwelcome. That's called harassment. Supporting online bullying is not a good policy these days since will eventually get you into legal trouble one way or another.
There was nothing wrong with my original post and there's nothing wrong with my attitude. There is nothing wrong with not wanting to sift though piles of useless spam written by people who don't have anything intelligent to contribute. Please do delete the thread, since it is filled with the useless junk that I've been trying to avoid.
Finally, you should consider giving users more control over their own threads such as the ability to delete unwanted posts or at least block abusive users. You'd save everyone a lot of trouble, including yourself.

Sincerely,

citizen127

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.