Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal. I have a 2000 SE and it used to run nice and fast. Recently, it's been running like crap. It has an extremely rough idle and has no power in the power band. It loses all it has at 4000 RPMs. I used to get 35-36 ish mph out of first gear, now I barely get 20mph. I started out with easy stuff. I got a new filter for my CAI, new plug wires, new plugs, changed my fuel filter, and PCV valve. Still ran like shit. I thought the problem might be the fuel pump. I heard about the recall, so I brought it up to a Dealership and they ran diagnostics. They told me I had a dead fuel injector, and that my fuel pressure was fine up until the injectors. So...I got new injectors in it today. I was psyched, figuring I had fixed the problem. I started it up, and it still ran like crap. The only difference is a slight improvement in fuel efficiency. I still have a rough idle, no power over 4000 RPMs, and I'm running out of ideas. CEL is on and shows code PO171 - System too lean. I tested out my EGR and DPFE and they are fine. Anybody have a clue what could be my problem?? I'm running out of ideas.

·
Registered
25,621 Posts
Sounds like it is fuel related. I would change the fuel filter and have another dealer check that fuel pump.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a new fuel filter on as of a few hundred miles ago. It made no difference at all once it was on. I'd have to say it seems fuel related, since it loses power when it's revved up (when the engine is starving for fuel) and since the code says the system is too lean. Just when for a ride to test out some new plugs I just put in and it still runs like shit...

·
Registered
155 Posts
could be more than one issue... check the oxygen sensors for faulty readings... not that hard to replace.. could also be losing power/ crappy idle due to a clogged catalytic converter. check both of them out and see how that works for u

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
look for vacuum leak, PCV hose is a likely culprit, but also check the manifold boots, brake booster hose, etc.. it would have to be a large leak to affect the idle

Also, clean the Mass Airflow sensor real quick, a dirty MAF can cause all sorts of problems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts