Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am new to posting to this forum. I will give you a little background on the minor turned major problem I have been having with my 2009 Focus SE. I have owned the car 1 year. I purchased it used with 26K miles on it. After about a couple of weeks driving it around I noticed a rough idle at stops (in drive at a red light). I thought it might be poor quality gasoline so, I continued to drive the car. Because it still had the Original 36K warranty, I took it back to the dealer at about 34K. Because there was never any dash warning lights, the dealership was unable to find the problem. They said it might be the computer. After the dealership contacted Dearborn, they replaced the computer but, the problem continued. They said that since it had no warning lights, they could not properly diagnose the problem. I now have 51K miles on the car. I still get around 33 MPG. Three days ago, while driving through city streets, The wrench light on the dash came on. I completely lost all acceleration and had to pull over and stop. I placed the car in park. The engine was still idling at around 1100 RPM I pressed on the accelerator and nothing happened. The engine RPM did not change. Yesterday, it happened again. I learned that if, I turned off the ignition and then started the car, it went back into a drivable condition. On the way home from work today, it happened to me 5 times on the freeway. It was around 98 degrees outside at the time. Also, about the third time this happened, the CEL came on and stayed on. My brother is coming over on Sunday with his code reader to check it out. From some of the other posts, it seems that it might be the Throttle Body or Idle Control has gone bad. I purchased the 100K mile extended warranty at the time of purchase. The problem is it has a $200.00 deductible. I am trying to fix this myself. When I find out what the code is, I will post it to this Forum for further assistance. Is there anyone who can help with advice, in the mean time?

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hello everyone. I am new to posting to this forum. I will give you a little background on the minor turned major problem I have been having with my 2009 Focus SE. I have owned the car 1 year. I purchased it used with 26K miles on it. After about a couple of weeks driving it around I noticed a rough idle at stops (in drive at a red light). I thought it might be poor quality gasoline so, I continued to drive the car. Because it still had the Original 36K warranty, I took it back to the dealer at about 34K. Because there was never any dash warning lights, the dealership was unable to find the problem. They said it might be the computer. After the dealership contacted Dearborn, they replaced the computer but, the problem continued. They said that since it had no warning lights, they could not properly diagnose the problem. I now have 51K miles on the car. I still get around 33 MPG. Three days ago, while driving through city streets, The wrench light on the dash came on. I completely lost all acceleration and had to pull over and stop. I placed the car in park. The engine was still idling at around 1100 RPM I pressed on the accelerator and nothing happened. The engine RPM did not change. Yesterday, it happened again. I learned that if, I turned off the ignition and then started the car, it went back into a drivable condition. On the way home from work today, it happened to me 5 times on the freeway. It was around 98 degrees outside at the time. Also, about the third time this happened, the CEL came on and stayed on. My brother is coming over on Sunday with his code reader to check it out. From some of the other posts, it seems that it might be the Throttle Body or Idle Control has gone bad. I purchased the 100K mile extended warranty at the time of purchase. The problem is it has a $200.00 deductible. I am trying to fix this myself. When I find out what the code is, I will post it to this Forum for further assistance. Is there anyone who can help with advice, in the mean time?
Hi unclmartin,

Just an FYI, I responded to your PM. [:)] The dealer is in the best position to determine the cause of your check engine light if you decide to proceed with any applicable warranty coverages. Please make sure you do not have the code cleared, as that is how the technicians will be able to diagnose your Focus.

~Natasha

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
You have a fly-by-wire throttle plate in that car instead of a cable throttle, and that's where at least the "press the gas and go nowhere" problem is from. Since you're out of warranty, you might as well look at it yourself, and see if there is any physical damage to the wires going to the throttle body. In other YM vehicles we've seen where the wires will pull out of the plug, so pull each individual wire on the plug to be sure all those are secure. Then it's most likely the TB itself that will have to be replaced. Some people have added a ground wire to their TB somewhere from the chassis, and think it improves throttle response.

I can't say myself since I have a cable TB.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re

Well my brother came over and he couldn't read the CEL code. We later found out it was an OBDII reader w/o the CAN. We need the CAN type reader. We went to our local Pep Boys and they brought out a reader, Code P2112 popped up. So, we removed and cleaned the TB. Voilla! The problem seems to have been resolved. No hesitation, No limp mode, no rough idle. Why couldn't the Ford Dealer fix the problem if there was a TSB out for this problem. I am a little upset about this. but, happy it is now fixed. [wiggle]

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem... I have a 2008 focus with 45k miles on it. Mine seems to be still at the rough idle stage though. I'm going to try cleaning the TB.

Thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
I'm having the exact same problem... I have a 2008 focus with 45k miles on it. Mine seems to be still at the rough idle stage though. I'm going to try cleaning the TB.

Thanks for the write up!
Hi Johnston,

I hope your rough idle clears up once you clean the TB. If not, you may want to consider visiting your dealer for assistance. Have a great day!

~Natasha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts