Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody I have a 2011 Focus with roughly 66k on the odo. Automatic. I Have a few issues that may or may not be related and haven't had luck finding out info pertaining to these all happening at once.

I have a rough Idle ~700 RPM

Fuel Smell coming through vents when stopped with air/ heat on

Took spark plugs out and one had powdery orange residue on the top and around the boot.

When accelerating from a rolling start, transmission doesn't grab smoothly and almost clunks into gear. When shifting from 2nd into third the tranny seems to overdrive for a bit longer than any other gear change.

Any thoughts on any of these issues will be an awesome help. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
For a couple of those,

Powdery orange on a plug/boot says there was water in that plug hole at some point, rusting the plug & possibly corroding the connection in the boot.

Boot & the spring connection are replaceable if you can't clean it up for a good connection, don't need a whole new coil assembly.

Look close under the hood at fuel lines/connections for any fuel seepage, any bad vacuum hoses could also affect idle & put out fumes.

Either can affect idle & overall running, scanning for pending codes can often help even if you don't have a current active code (CEL) present.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
Hey everybody I have a 2011 Focus with roughly 66k on the odo. Automatic. I Have a few issues that may or may not be related and haven't had luck finding out info pertaining to these all happening at once.

I have a rough Idle ~700 RPM

Fuel Smell coming through vents when stopped with air/ heat on

Took spark plugs out and one had powdery orange residue on the top and around the boot.

When accelerating from a rolling start, transmission doesn't grab smoothly and almost clunks into gear. When shifting from 2nd into third the tranny seems to overdrive for a bit longer than any other gear change.

Any thoughts on any of these issues will be an awesome help. Thanks again
Hi Stevo1390,

I always smile whenever I see a location from Long Island I recognize. :D

Have you been to your dealer to have your concerns diagnosed?

Meagan

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the delay here, I've been moving around a lot. Ok so I've only recently brought it to a shop and there were no codes, the fuel smell went away completely on its own which is weird.
The mechanic cleaned out the MAF and checked the hoses but no luck. The rough idle is killing me, you can really feel the car shake and it's not constant. The tach will jump all the time between 600 and 900 at idle.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Find a better shop.

What about those plug boots? With the plugs rusted, the connectors might not be great.

Did the plugs get replaced? How about pending codes? Did anyone check the misfire counts? - my Harbor freight scanner can do that, helped diagnose which of my coils was starting to fail.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply sailor, no codes were found but I'm going to have a friend scan them again just to be certain. I did originally replace the plugs when i first noticed the rust like residue. He also told me nothing was misfiring but Ill have to double check. How do I go about that one?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Usually you can feel it when it "stutters", but it won't even set a "pending" code until it does it a fair amount. Sets one right away with a flashing CEL if a cyl. cuts out completely, but that's the extreme case. Will set a code with a temp. light on if it's rough enough for a while - and I mean QUITE rough intermittently.

See what options are in the scan tool for checking things, "pending" needs checking for sure. I found a way to get to the misfire count section with my fairly cheap scan tool from HF, so many should be able to see that.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok still waiting on a friend since all mechanics were giving me the run around. So far I've cleaned out the air intake/ TB and removed some build up with some slight improvement. I also replaced the spark plugs again for good measure. the two plugs from 3 and 4 were orange on the inner side where as the other two were mostly oil coated and slightly orange on the tip. Will update when I look more into it tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,887 Posts
ok still waiting on a friend since all mechanics were giving me the run around. So far I've cleaned out the air intake/ TB and removed some build up with some slight improvement. I also replaced the spark plugs again for good measure. the two plugs from 3 and 4 were orange on the inner side where as the other two were mostly oil coated and slightly orange on the tip. Will update when I look more into it tomorrow.
When you mention the mechanics, are they at independent shops, or Ford Dealerships?

Meagan

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Use the dialectric grease on the plugs to keep the moisture out...that's what's turning them orange with rust.

As Sailor mentioned, check the boot connectors...with moisture in there, you might well have some corrosion that's interfering with the smooth flow of electricity, causing a tiny misfire but not enough to throw a code.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok so I used the grease, the boots don't seem to fit too snug so I'm going to replace them. I'm thinking about picking up a personal code reader, any thoughts as to which one will be able to pick up pending codes?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts