Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am truly confused and I am running out of ideas of what the problem can be and I very would like to avoid forking the big bucks in taking my Focus into the garage. I have a check engine light and when the car idles it lows very low eventually stalling--both from intial start ups to stop lights. I took the car to AutoZone to get the check engine light code read and we got a P0171 (lack of HO2S-11 switch indicates lean with probable cause of: 1. failed HO2S sensor, 2. open or short circut conditon, 3. failed fuel pump or blocked fuel filter, 4. MAF sensor failure, 5. Vacuum leak) and P2195 (fuel trim bank one condition with probable causes of: 1. MAF sensor, 2. Oxygen sensor defective, 3. Ignition misfire-repair, 4. fuel injector problem). I had the oxygen sensors and the fuel pump and fuel filter replaced. The MAF sensor, the EGR valve, the spark plugs and wires and the PVC valve I have all replaced and I can't find any obvious signs of a vacuum leak as the hoses look fine and don't hear any leaks. Still, after doing all this the check engine light is still on and the car still does the same exact thing: idles low and then stalls. When driving, however, there is no problems at all (except acceleration can be at times slugish where the car kicks before accelerating, and fuel economy is variant)... it is only when I'm ideling. Does anyone have an idea of what this could be and how I can fix it? I'm driving an 03 Focus LX automatic 2.0L single with 65,000 miles. I am going to keep looking and update as I go along but if anyone can help... please help, anyone. [pray]

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had this code on the wife's expedition along with real bad idle to where it wanted to die but at speed it was ok, turned out to be a vacuum leak. My daughter's mustang, same thing. Use a can of carb cleaner that has the long straw and while tracing each hose give a quick shot and listen for the rpm's to pick up. If it does, your close to the vacuum leak.

my 2 cents

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hole in PVC line

Hurray! I think I found it. [idea] This morning I was inspecting the PVC line and found, lo and behold, a big ol' gaping hole in the boot that connects the PVC line into the manifold. After going to the dealership (the only place I could get it), it turns out that I just can't purchase the boot but I will have to buy the entire line (a whopping 32 dollars [rant] ) but it will be arriving tomorrow from Denver. I hope that this does the trick, but I let you know tomorrow afternoon. No I didn't look into the IAC valve nor the TPS, just to mention, and the more I look into those two the more suspicious I become. However, the computer check didn't mention anything about these components. We'll see what happens tomorrow. By the way, does anyone know how to reset the computer??? I read somewhere that you just simply disconnect the battery for 10 minutes and that will do the trick but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vacuum leak indeed

So the PVC line finally arrived from Denver around 3:00 o'clock in the afternoon and I easily replaced it there at the dealership. After having replaced it, the car is indeed running much better: no more rough idles, stallings and check engine lights. The hole was a big one, looking at it closer upon removal of the old line--I just only hope that it didn't inflict further damage elsewhere. Does anyone if it could have??? Nonetheless, I am quite happy and relieved. The car has gained its power again where, without even noticing, I was going 65 up hill in a 60 limit. I hope this did it, and I will let you know if the check engine light comes back on. Thank you. [cheers]

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your problem sounds very similar to mine. I would assumed the same for you--vacuum leak somewhere. The hole was hard to see as the line kind of goes down in there and being close to the firewall. When I wiggled the line a bit, after disconnecting the one end from the PVC valve, I noticed a lot of free play. Being that it's that hard rubber, it shouldn't move around like that. I looked at it closer with a flashlight and then saw the hole.

·
Registered
16 Posts
well the upper part of that hose broke a long time ago on my car and i replaced it with heater hose (i know not the best) but know im thinking it may be time to replace the entire thing. the last time i check ford wanted 60 bucks for the line.

where was your hole? was it inside of the foam liner?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts