Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon.

2000 Focus wagon with Z-Tech DOHC engine. Engine runs rough and surges. Car has 220K miles on it. I know it's a LOT of miles.

Have replaced:
Coil
Plugs
Wires
EGR valve
EGR valve position sensor
PCV valve and hose
Idle air control valve

The IAC and EGR valves made the biggest improvement in how it runs. Better but not near perfect.

There is a port on the intake manifold that is supposed to have a cap on it which had fallen off. If I put a cap on the engine refuses to start. If it's running and I try to put a cap on it, the engine dies. Runs fine without it.

This tells me it is wanting more air but I cannot figure out where it should come from. Running too rich and trying to get more air?

Open to any ideas.

All the Best,
D. White

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
220k is well within reason for the Zetecs. I ran two of them well past that.

You have a vacuum leak, or likely several, given the car's age. Buy a roll of vacuum hose and start replacing them. Yes, all of them. I found the leak about halfway through the same job, but kept going and never had another problem. They're all likely original, and rubber just doesn't last 20 years.

That port in the intake is allowing dirty unfiltered air into your engine. Don't drive it like that.

Start with the air filter and work your way to the intake manifold, checking for any dirt or cracks or obstructions. Make sure the throttle body is clean and moving smoothly.

Any codes coming up?

·
Registered
15,429 Posts
If you changed the FRONT PCV hose only then you didn't get the back one which causes most of the trouble..............

1 - 3 of 3 Posts