Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone im new to the site and need help I seafoamed my car the other day and it was running fine the next day I started my car and it idled like shit and threw codes p**04 p**08 which are IMRC and IMTV which im not too worried about cuz they came on after I pulled a vacuum hose off when car was running and another code which is for the IAC. The main problem is the car wont idle it stalls hard after idling rough for a second. i never had a problem with the car its a 06 zx4 st with 108,000m till i seafoamed. i took iac off and didn't have seafoam in it like i thought so i cleaned anyway and put back on and didn't change anything please help.... i also swapped solinoids for IMRC and IMTV jus for the heck of it and still runs the same so i don't think that's the problem i think might jus need new IAC but please give me your feedback thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the hose that goes from valve cover to intake so it went in before the throttle body which was a dumb idea but I couldn't get hose off abs so I can put seafoam in after throttle body.... I wasn't thinking but idk if I shorted out my IAC or what cuz it idles very rough for a few seconds then dies ??

·
Registered
753 Posts
Lolol. Someone please tell me that seafoam isn't JUST a fuel additive.

@Oski187 - if you put the seafoam where I think you did, you messed up. Afaik and I just asked my dad, seafoam is a fuel additive and is meant to be mixed with gasoline in the tank.

That hose going from intake to valve cover is a breather and inside your valve cover is your cams and oil. You're going to need a oil change to get the seamfoam out.
Test your IAC by pulling its electrical connector, idle should change.

·
Registered
521 Posts
When I had my Aveo, the guys on that forum were crazy about sucking Seafoam up with their vacuum lines. They did it like it was general maintenance, and I never understood why.

Toby

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seafoam can be added to crank case fuel tank or vacuum usually u pull hose off brake booster and put in thru there but I couldn't get it off but I got a new IAC and it didn't change anything I pulled cable off battery to get rid of codes and now there isn't any codes which I thought there would be cuz the way its running but I also switched the solinoids for the IMRC and IMTV and that didn't chage anything so I put them back and I looked at both plungers and both are down when running and both come up and back down when I give heavy throttle I think I may have burnt out my MAF sensor cuz I took it out to check it and it was wet with seafoam so I think it may be burnt out but idk and when I drive the car it bucks like a bull at low throttle then clears out and second gear and up seem to run fine but when I floor it theres deff a big power loss

·
Registered
17,540 Posts
Nothing personal at all but the seafoam is NOT the problem here, rather, the person working on car............

Brake booster and 'abs' are NOT the same thing and incompetence lies there. The place you put seafoam was wrong, wrong. You've stuffed the MAF but cleaning it up may fix it, however with skills shown so far the hopes are not high.

Luck, you need to stay away from seafoam...............I personally wouldn't use that stuff in my tricycle.

People use it to 'get rid of carbon' which is the dumbest idea I have ever heard..........cars will run with carbon in them forever unless you have one of the fluke engines that for some reason or other build carbon at 500X the normal rate. Some do but not most. Never tune them up and most will carbon then, but again, an operator issue not car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know brake booster and abs are not the same thing I typed the wrong thing and I know a lot about cars I worked in a shop before and I do all the work to my cars but if ur here to talk crap I rather u jus not say shit on my post thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i know i put the seafoam in the wrong hose but i didn't think i mattered it goes to the same place as the hose from the booster the only difference is one hose is before sensors and the other is after the sensors so im pretty sure that's why im having issues with the way the car is running

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im jus looking for another opinion not criticism thanks tho and i used it on 3 of my other cars and it worked awesome i never had a problem and as far as my work goes i swap motors and i build them so i know just as much as the next guy so lets not go there dude im jus looking for some help

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Sometimes the ribbing goes along with the good advice...

amc did cover what you need to do, MAF is prob. junk but you can TRY cleaning it just to see what happens - can't hurt it any more now.

Using a cleaner like that down the intake can cause more damage than any good it does, Ford found out it'll dust turbos when used on Ecoboost engines for example. CAT is easily damaged as well for one example that applies to your car.

With luck, only the MAF is your current problem.

·
Registered
17,540 Posts
I always love it when someone says they seafoam to clean the carbon out of the cat, it does exactly the opposite LOL. Excess HC=carbon hurricane..............

Sometimes opinion IS criticism, the smarter guy recognizes that to do better. The clamming up of the brain and switching on of the testosterone is how you avoid that though. I was building drag race engines some 40+ years ago, ATX and MTX too.

Seafoam is NOT your friend, you can run without it ever but you have to know how to REALLY fix or tune motors, seafoam is a crutch for the unlearned, no insult intended of course..............in fact some 80% of the automotive chemicals are unneeded, we certainly never used them in the family garage. You see what they got you here, either it was the seafoam, or it was............you.............take your pick there.

Luck...........and I apologize for any flak given there, but you need to hear it.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
Dude, all the pros just suck a can of naptha, isopropyl alcohol and sewing machine oil through the intake to fix what ain't broken.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts