Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
My '05 Focus is coming up on 80K on the odometer. I've had most of the usual, recommended maintenance work done on it either at or near the recommended milage milestones. Lately, though, I've had a situation develop where accelerating (both in-town & on the highway) is resulting in the engine's acceleration sounding not as smoothly as I'm used to.

From driving an old beater for years before I got my Focus, my gut says its probably a spark plug issue. At the same time, last time I had the car serviced (i.e. a little past 75K) it was recommended I get the fuel injectors cleaned. I held off on the cleaning since I'm crazy-tight on funds, & was only able to get the usual fluids changed. Still, anyone delay on having the injectors cleaned & had a similar issue come up? Or is it more likely to be the spark plugs?

I have an out of town trip coming up in the next day or so & would hate to have a breakdown due to an injector cleaning job that's only 3K+ miles overdue.
Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
Skip cleaning the FI. Most of the time E10 will do that for you. It's a BS claim for a shop to make $$$ off your car. I'd take it as a hint there there's really nothing wrong with the car.

Now there are a few things you should check. First off, change those plugs, mine went out around 80k too. Secondly, change your fuel filter. Fuel filters should be changed every 25k miles, but I'll bet that yours is still factory.

If you change your own plugs, then remove the coil boot, and look for corrosion at the bottom of the coil, and on the spring that connects the plug. Around 100k miles was when I had to replace my boots to repair an intermittent miss. New springs come with new boots.

You should be fine on your trip if you want to go ahead and take it. Check the usual trip stuff: oil, tire pressure, clean the windshield, I put RainX on mine front and back, then head out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks whynot! Sorry it took a bit to get back in here. Comp problems.

I took my drive and, yep, the car managed! So now I just aim to change the plugs, check the boots, & check the fluids. I'm pretty consistent about getting its recommended jobs done at the recommended milage milestones. lol, but yeah having a $125 clean-the-injectors job when I could just use E10 will suffice.

By the by, I'm guessing that by "E10" you mean any one of those gas additives?[dunno]
Anyhoo, thanks again!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts