Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got EBC dimpled and slotted rotors on my focus. Car stops great and I'm not concerned with dust... I wash it once a week in good weather. My issue is with noise. I get a pretty decent moan out of them and vibration can be felt in the pedal and body.

The vibration and noise isn't due to thickness variation though. I've cut them with an on-car pro-cut lathe to remove all runout and prevent DTV but I still get this moan. Granted, the first time I cut them I went .008" per side per cut and quickly found out that such an agressive cut will leave raised imprints of the slots and dimples due to the cutting head moving in and out.... so after finally figuring out that a .003" per side per cut would prevent this effect I thought my moaning noise would be minimized....

I was wrong. I suspect because they are simply dimpled and not drilled through, gas builds up in the dimples and creates the noise. I've never had this issue with true slotted and drilled rotors.

I love the look of S/CD rotors but they really don't provide much of a performance benefit especially for a daily driver.

Does anyone have the same issue with thier EBC rotors?
Does anyone recommend a reasonably priced S/CD rotor?
Has anyone really noticed a difference between solid rotors and S/CDs on their focus?

I'm not going to buy cheap part-store variety disks but I have a hard time forking over almost $500 for a set of four S/CD rotors just because they look cute.

Before I go buy OEMs for cheap or go to Brembo I figured I'd see what the board thinks.....

Thanks![headbang]

·
Premium Member
6,442 Posts
Moved to "Wheels, Tires, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored By Tire Rack"

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
Did you use sand paper to make a non directional finish? and what pads are you using?

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Damnit I kinda wanted this in the SVT section for a reason.....but whatever.

I'm using EBC green stuff pads. I'm sure they aren't the most quiet pads in the world but I've had them on other cars without having this moan..

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you use sand paper to make a non directional finish? and what pads are you using?
Oh, I also used sandpaper eventhough the procut provides a non directional finish when it cuts...

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
The dimple's make noise & a place to collect brake dust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts