Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
nope....But it is a good idea to turn them when your replace your pads (if needed) But to already be burnt out!?!? seems really quick![confused]

·
Registered
49 Posts
Do you brake hard on with your SVT? I learn I'm braking a lot harder with the SVT because the close ratio 6 speed don't do a good job on engine braking.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Normal....No. No way should you have to resurface those rotors with only 6,000 miles on them. It's more like 30-50K for the average driver depending on use. You would really have to be abusing your brakes for this to happen so soon. I mean really using them very hard, like ALL your stops are panic, just on the verge of skidding. You would have had to really heat those rotors up big time for this to occur.

Or they are bad from the factory, and warped with the first heavy duty heat cycle.
Are the y resurfacing them due to excessive wear, pitting and scaling, or becaused they are just out of round due to warpage?

If your rotors are toast with 6k, your pads m ust be toast as well. Find out why the did it, is there a caliper sticking?
let us know why
bfocused

·
Registered
875 Posts
Agreed. Something failed prematurely.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure my local dealer did but they didn't charge me for the resurfacing. My steering wheel was shaking when I was braking & this is what I told the writer.

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Infra3sv said:
I'm not sure my local dealer did but they didn't charge me for the resurfacing. My steering wheel was shaking when I was braking & this is what I told the writer.
Yeah, your rotors were warped. Maybe your lugs weren't torqued evenly ? I would rather they replaced the rotors rather than resurfacing. Now, when you go to replace the pads later on, you are going to have to replace the rotors and you will probably be out of warranty.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I guess one or both were warped. Ease up on the panic stops.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
That sounds bad, it cant all be cause by panic braking at only 6000 miles, or can it?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guerro said:
Yeah, your rotors were warped. Maybe your lugs weren't torqued evenly ? I would rather they replaced the rotors rather than resurfacing. Now, when you go to replace the pads later on, you are going to have to replace the rotors and you will probably be out of warranty.
Why would I have to get new rotors when I get new pads?

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Wow, 6,000 miles?? That's the first I've heard of anything like this on the SVT. This type of problem is common on the old first-gen MR2's - basically the brakes were slightly inadequate and they were being overworked even in hard everyday driving. Of this I am quite familiar. Over the six years I drove my 86 MR2, I'd say the most money spent on repairs was on the seemingly-constant need for rotor turning and replacements.

They solved the problem by simply updating the brakes during the production run to larger sized units, but in the SVT's case, the brakes seem like they are more than adequate. Are you really an "in the closet" extreme braker??

·
Focus Addict
1,245 Posts
Infra3sv said:
Why would I have to get new rotors when I get new pads?
Because they are going to want to turn the rotors when they (or you) replace the pads and low and behold, already turned. Too thin. Have to replace them. You want as much meat on the rotors as possible before you go out of warranty. Just my opinion, and Ford may have different policy, but I would want new rotors. I mean, hell, you are going to have a practically brand new car with thinner than original rotors.

Edit: I am talking about next time you get new pads. Gotta keep thinking a few steps ahead. Yeah, its fine and dandy now. They turn the rotors put in new pads. But what if that gets you to 36001 miles or 36 months +1 day ?? If you had stock thickness getting you to 36001 miles, you could turn the rotors instead of replacing them. Thus saving you money. I dunno. Do what satisfies you. It's your car. [thumb]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Technically rotors don't 'warp'. The uneven surface on the rotor is caused by brake pad deposits. This is fairly common on the track and is easy to get rid of. I suppose with very aggressive driving on the street you could also get your pads hot enough to leave deposits behind. This is why after a track session you always do a cool down lap and avoid leaving the brakes engaged after stopping. If you engage the brakes after stopping you just dumped a bunch of deposits on your rotors.

Before you spend the $$ to get them turned try rebedding them. I have to do this on my m coupe fairly often. Moderately brake from around 60-80 down to 20 a few times to warm things up. Then brake aggressively from the same speeds a couple of times. Do not come to a full stop. This should remove the deposits. Drive for awhile withou engaging the brakes to cool things down.

Rotors and pads are deposables. I figure on replacing them every couple of years anyways. Guys that track often will replace them more often.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the link but that site is not definitive. Most of what people describe as 'warping' is from organic pad material and bonding agents, being burned off the pad and embedded into the disc rotor face. Under braking, the clean rotor and the contaminated rotor surfaces have different coefficients of friction, and therefore produce a pulsing and throbbing when applied.

If the rotor is warped then why do people fix them by shaving some of the surface off?? Think about...If they were warped getting them turned wouldn't fix them, they wouldn't even being able to turn them. Just install some high friction pads or use your current pads and bed them. This is almost the same as getting them turned and will save you some money.

This debate has been going on for years. I have never seen a warped rotor but I have had many rotors get brake pad deposits built up on them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A LOT OF EARLY 02'S AND 03'S ROTORS WERE JUNK ,MY PADS AND ROTORS WERE JUNK AT 4 GRAND FRONTS REARS AT 6 AND I DONT BRAKE HARD AT ALL BARELY USE EM

·
Registered
875 Posts
RX7II said:
A LOT OF EARLY 02'S AND 03'S ROTORS WERE JUNK ,MY PADS AND ROTORS WERE JUNK AT 4 GRAND FRONTS REARS AT 6 AND I DONT BRAKE HARD AT ALL BARELY USE EM
Does the SVT use different rotors/pads than other Foci, though? BTW, [/caps] next time, pls.[;)]

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, the SVT uses different rotors. It has bigger brakes. I assume it has different pads also but assuming only leads to one thing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts