Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to redo my brakes and pads and i'm wondering what is a good rotor and a good pad to get? i also need to do my drums in back and can't seem to find performance pads for them.

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
1st this should of gone in the suspension, brakes, wheels, tire's section. For the front's i would go with the EBC dimpled an slotted rotors with EBC green stuff pads. for the rear they dont make upgraded pads an drums. they do make upgraded lines for the front an rear brakes.

·
Registered
596 Posts
tyr552 if your not going to upgrade your power, as your profile suggest I would ask NemesisEnforcer...he works at Autozone and would be a good source for new pads and shoes for the rear drums...

·
Registered
8,506 Posts
i also suggest centric front rotors with hawk pads...

and there arent going to really be performance "shoes" for the drums, as drums are way outdated.

moving to suspension.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I can't believe that ford put drums on the focus...I know it's cheaper...well I don't know that, but I guess that's why they do it...

P.S. I got edited..LOLOL That's a first...makes me feel special[thumb]

EDIT: I'm gonna wait til I need brakes. I find my ST brakes are more than adequate for my driving habits. But I will be sure to check out the Centric/Hawk setup for the front when the time is due...HOPEFULLY IT WILL BE AWHILE

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i plan on doing stuff to my engine soon, prolly a new exhaust, header and a CAI, along with a tune of course. figured while i need rotors and brakes i might as well get ones that would be good.

·
Registered
267 Posts
id get ceramic pads. hawk makes them, and akebono is good too. their performance is underrarted compared to street performance composite brake pads like hawk hps (not talking race pads). but they have almost no dust, are easier on the rotors, and dont make noise. all of which the hawk hps does epsecially with a dimpled/slotted rotor.

·
/人◕ ‿‿&#65
3,318 Posts
Id recommend Brembo Blanks, and Hawk HPS pads. Dont get the HPS+ pads, those are track only, and need to be heated up before they start biting.

I would also invest in stainless brakelines. [8D]

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
A lot depends on how the car will be used. If you 07 really needs new brakes I can only assume you're really hard on them. If that's true, than I suggest you get local auto store brands with lifetime warranties as it sounds like you're going to be replacing them frequently (note: high performance pads aren't designed with long life in mind as the primary criteria...performance first, useful life second). In reality, any front rotor from any reputable manufacturer will work. A step up would be a Brembo or Centric solid rotor. In good conscience and for good reason, I would NEVER recommend a slotted, drilled or dimpled rotor as they provide no performance benefits, especially if used for street driving (and usually cost a lot more as well). For pads and shoes, I like Mintex AF's. They are one of the very few manufacturers that make a matched front pad and rear shoe set.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Geezer has a good write up, but I cant remember the thread about brakes...read it and learn. Then save money and stop better than the rest of your friends with cross drilled, slotted kind of rotors...it's a great piece of information dispelling break design myths..

·
soon to be turbo!
5,728 Posts
ok i have the ebc rotors an i know people has said that the green stuff pads are really good with them but what about the red stuff pads whats that like?

·
Registered
234 Posts
ok i have the ebc rotors an i know people has said that the green stuff pads are really good with them but what about the red stuff pads whats that like?
The Red Stuff is supposed to be more for track use, just like the Hawk HPS+ pads. They'll stop harder but will need to be heated up first to really work. Plus they may not be too quiet and will probably wear faster. CFM had a disclaimer saying that they may also affect the rotor life with the extra friction.

P.S. I just ordered the Cetrics and Hawks last night. I hope to join that recommendation club!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts