Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
rotor warpage issue

ok so im new here, found site from S2's cardomain. i did a quick little search and unless i skimmed a topic, didnt really notice what im looking for.

so now the problem. i rebuilt a 01 S2 because my dad loved how it felt sitting in the car and how it looked. got it running and after about 3 months, when i came back to visit, i drove the car and noticed the rotors were warped real bad. i asked how long its been like this, and he says i had no idea there was a problem [???:)] . so we go out and get new rotors and pads. i put everything on, checked caliper and slides and took it for a drive. fixed it. now last week i went back again and the rotors are warped even worse again! its been like almost 5 months and they are shot.

my question is, how many of you have had repeatedly rotors warp? with how thin the rotors are, its basically useless turning them. i dont want him to constantly be buying new rotors every 4 months. unless this problem is evident with ceramic pads, which is strange to me. id like to figure out something soon so the pads dont get all crapped up. its just horrible.

·
Registered
451 Posts
are you replacing them with oem or aftermarket rotors?

This was a common prblem with my car as well, Ford really cheaped out when it came to the material they used for our rotors! My first set was gone at around 17,000 Kph, so i go my first set done under warrenty! The next set went real quick too, so i picked up a set off ebay. Brembo cross drilled and some Axxis ceramic pads. So far no problems!

But i'd suggest some EBC rotors and green stuff pads! They come slotted and dimpled and the EBC green stuff pads cut down on the brake dust! It's worth the extra bit of cash to go this way and sves you the hastle of changing everything out so often!

Hope this helps!

·
Retired Fanatic
20,000 Posts
Hey Welcome To FocusFanatics.com! [thumb]

Glad ya found the site thought the cardomain thing I got up there. Anyway, I've heard of this happenning also, not continually though. There's a bunch of threads on this site on 'warped rotors' so if you do a SEARCH you'll find some more information.

I think the main questions above are already asked as I'd ask the same thing, what kind of rotors are you using and I'd also ask what kind of driving style but I'm doubting the car is being driven hard like that all the time.

I'll keep checking back on this thread for your reply.

Again Welcome to the Site!!

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Front brake rotors are probably one of the biggest complaints associated with the Focus. Earlier cars seem to have the biggest problems (00-02) but its trickeled into latter years as well. Our 2003 ZX3 is close to 40K miles and has been trouble free. Your best option is to replace the rotors with a non Ford manufactured aftermaket product as mentioned. My suggestion would be to use Brembo solid rotors. Tire rack carries these for around 50.00 each.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Make sure lugs are torqued evenly every time. 63 ft-lbs for 2000 models 94 ft-lbs for 2001 & later. Add 1-2 ft-lbs if you use a deep socket or extention. Won't help much if rotors are already warped. Also, flush brake fluid at least once a year. If systems fluid has been contaminated too long chances are seals and/or caliper pistons are bad causing excesive heat by not retracting correctly. A bad thing especialy if not torqued. The last & only time I serviced a contamanated system 3 years ago (friends car), no caliper kits or remans were available, so he had to buy calipers new (expensive, had 4 wheel disc). Kits and/or remans should be available by now, not sure. I'v owned a 2ooo zx3,2001 s2, & have a 2003 SVT,2003 ZX5, & a 2ooo zx3 beater (my favorite) & have had no issues other than a little squeel on the 2ooo models (rear drums) even with the cheap ford parts. BTW keeping caliper sliders & shoe backplate contact points lubed is also a good habit to get into yearly. Even if you pay someone for brake service, make sure you let them know you know your car.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok the brake rotors i think are just the cheapo's from advance auto, wearever? or something. its not my car so i dont make the choices are parts.

the set that were on the car i can understand them warping, since it was sitting in a junkyard for a good while. the recent set, no thats just way too quick. i know ford has some issue with rotors warping, even brand new, in no time. i worked in a shop and we came across many complaints of this every 3 months the rotors would be warped again. the car isnt driven very hard, not on the brakes that is. he loves how to takes off especially 3rd gear. but the brakes are hardly used. he likes to downshift alot, i dont like that since it has a timing belt instead of a chain.

fluid is in great condition. im not sure what else to say. id like for him to get new rotors, but its not my car nore my money. hopefully i can find a good set that most likely wont warp so quick to slap on sometime.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts